Bungee Jumping: Unraveling the Physics Involved

In summary, we've been studying the physics involved in bungee jumping. We went to a bungee site, and recorded data, such as length of rope, weight of jumper, distance to fall, etc.
glugger
we've been studying te physics involved in bungee jumping. We went to a bungee site, and recorded data, such as length of rope, weight of jumper, distance to fall, etc.

With the data we collected, I've been able to determine spring constant, equilibrium point, force exerted etc.

But I've been having trouble to work out the height the jumper will bounce back up to after reaching the lowest point.

Here's an example:
k= 50 N/m
x= 50 m (this includes the length of cord)
length of cord= 10m

so f=k(x-L)
=50 x 40
= 2000 N

and that his elastic potential energy at the bottom = E grav potential at top
m= 80kg

mgx=.5k(x-L)^2
Eep=40000 J

But using this how do i find the height the jumper will bounce to? I'm pretty sure he wouldn't reach the same height he fell from, due to gravity.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming they stop at the bottom of the bungee then they have no kinetic energy, so all the spring energy goes into the potential energy they have at the top of the bounce.
so 1/2 k x^2 = m g h
where x is the spring extention and h is the height (above the lowest point)

but wouldn't the height they return to be affected by gravity, therefore lowering the height he would return to?

1/2 k x^2 = m g h

h= 40000/ 800
= 50m

and this would not be correct.

Last edited:
glugger said:
but wouldn't the height they return to be affected by gravity, therefore lowering the height he would return to?

Not affected by gravity. Affected by losses to air resistance and losses into the rope (it's a lossy spring)

berkeman said:
Not affected by gravity. Affected by losses to air resistance and losses into the rope (it's a lossy spring)

so without these losses, the rope would be in constant motion, and never stop?

glugger said:
so without these losses, the rope would be in constant motion, and never stop?

Not exactly. Without losses, the system is basically a mass on a spring. The mass oscillates up and down, and the spring goes with it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_harmonic_motion

yes, but it would never stop without these losses?

glugger said:
yes, but it would never stop without these losses?

I'm sure Berkeman didn't understand what you were driving at or some subtle point. Anyway, without energy loss in the cord or through air friction, you would oscillate forever, or if you wish, return to your starting point at take-off, with everything else being ideal.

Last edited:
Phrak said:
I'm sure Berkeman didn't understand what you were driving at or some subtle point. Anyway, without energy loss in the cord or through air friction, you would oscillate forever, or if you wish, return to your starting point at take-off, with everything else being ideal.
Yes... If there are no losses (no energy converted to heat) then the bungee jumper just keeps bouncing forever.

I think I'd vomit...

ok thank you. that solved the problem...sorta.

1. How does the length of the bungee cord affect the jump?

The length of the bungee cord is a crucial factor in bungee jumping. It determines how far the jumper will fall before experiencing tension from the cord. A longer cord will allow for a longer free fall, while a shorter cord will result in a shorter free fall. This is because the cord will stretch and recoil at different rates depending on its length, affecting the overall experience of the jump.

2. What role does gravity play in bungee jumping?

Gravity is the force that pulls the jumper towards the ground during a bungee jump. It is the main force at play that determines the speed of the fall and the resulting tension on the bungee cord. The force of gravity is also responsible for the feeling of weightlessness during the free fall portion of the jump.

3. How is potential energy converted to kinetic energy during a bungee jump?

Potential energy is stored energy that an object has due to its position or state. In a bungee jump, potential energy is stored in the jumper as they stand on the edge of the platform. As they fall, this potential energy is converted to kinetic energy, the energy of motion. The jumper's kinetic energy increases as they accelerate towards the ground, until it is eventually converted back to potential energy as the bungee cord recoils and the jumper bounces back up.

4. What safety precautions are taken in bungee jumping?

Bungee jumping involves a high level of risk and therefore, strict safety measures are taken to ensure the safety of the jumper. These include checking the bungee cord for any signs of wear and tear, making sure the jump site is clear of any hazards, and ensuring the cord is properly secured to the jumper's body. In addition, trained professionals are always present to oversee the jump and provide assistance if needed.

5. How is the bungee cord designed to withstand the force of a bungee jump?

The bungee cord used in bungee jumping is made of multiple strands of elastic material, usually rubber, that are tightly woven together. This design allows the cord to stretch and recoil, absorbing the energy of the fall and preventing the jumper from hitting the ground with excessive force. The cords are also designed to have a specific weight capacity and are regularly tested to ensure they can withstand the force of a bungee jump.