Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Buoyancy Analysis in Pro-E

1. Oct 8, 2009 #1
    My robotic team and I are constructing an underwater autonomous vehicle. We are trying to do as much of the design process in Pro-E as possible to make life easier for us down the road. One aspect of testing which would be made much easier is buoyancy testing. Therefore, I was wondering if it possible to do buoyancy analysis in Pro-E. If anyone knows more about this it would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2009 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Not in the standard package. You can only do geometry or mass analysis. You will be able to get the overall assembly CG. I don't know about Pro/Mechanica though.

4. Oct 8, 2009 #3

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can do a simple buoancy analysis by doing things like looking at the total displaced volume of the sumersible, the calculated weight, calculating the center of gravity, etc.

5. Oct 8, 2009 #4
    I don't use Pro E in my current position but I have worked with other engineers who have used Pro Mechanica and they say it's time to achieve a solution can be very long.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

Thanks
    Matt

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook