Understanding Archimedes' Principle: Solving for Density in a Buoyancy Problem

In summary, the apparent weight of an object submerged in water is equal to the actual weight of the object in air minus the buoyant force of the water displaced by the object. This can be represented algebraically as ρobjVobjg=ρfluidVobjg, but this formula only works if the density of the object is not equal to the density of the fluid. In order to solve the problem correctly, Archimedes' Principle must be taken into account, which states that the apparent weight of an object is equal to its actual weight minus the weight of the water it displaces. This principle can be used to solve for the density of the object given the apparent weight and actual weight in air.
brake4country

Homework Statement

If an object is 500 N normally but has an apparent weight of 300 N when submerged in water, what is the density of the object?

Homework Equations

ρobjVobjg = ρfluidVobjg

The Attempt at a Solution

So the correct answer is 2500 kg/m3 but when I set up the problem, it doesn't turn out correct.
ρobjVobjg = ρfluidVobjg
Both volumes and gravity cancel resulting with:
ρfluidobj
Is there an error in my set up? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
brake4country said:

Homework Statement

If an object is 500 N normally but has an apparent weight of 300 N when submerged in water, what is the density of the object?

Homework Equations

ρobjVobjg = ρfluidVobjg

The Attempt at a Solution

So the correct answer is 2500 kg/m3 but when I set up the problem, it doesn't turn out correct.
ρobjVobjg = ρfluidVobjg
Both volumes and gravity cancel resulting with:
ρfluidobj
Is there an error in my set up? Thanks in advance!
You've assumed that the apparent weight is the product of some fictitious density and the volume of the object, neglecting Archimedes' Principle.

Remember that apparent weight of a submerged object = actual weight of the object in air - buoyant force of the water displaced by the object.

Right, 500 N - 200 N = 300 N. Conceptually this makes sense but I am trying to work this out algebraically. Also, just to be clear, you are saying that I cannot use ρobj algebraically this way?

brake4country said:
Right, 500 N - 200 N = 300 N. Conceptually this makes sense but I am trying to work this out algebraically. Also, just to be clear, you are saying that I cannot use ρobj algebraically this way?

It depends on what ρobj means. Is it derived from the mass of the object, as in ρobj = mobj / Vobj ?

It's still not clear why you can't solve this problem algebraically by applying Archimedes' Principle.

Can this even be solved algebraically even with an "apparent weight"? I understand apparent weight but in the formula written above: ρobjVobjg=ρfluidVobjg; if I follow math rules, ρobj should be = to ρfluid. Perhaps I am assuming something but I cannot see it.

brake4country said:
Can this even be solved algebraically even with an "apparent weight"? I understand apparent weight but in the formula written above: ρobjVobjg=ρfluidVobjg; if I follow math rules, ρobj should be = to ρfluid. Perhaps I am assuming something but I cannot see it.

Your math is flawless, but it is based on a faulty assumption. Here, let me highlight it for you (again):

You've assumed that the apparent weight is the product of some fictitious density and the volume of the object, neglecting Archimedes' Principle.

As I explained in a previous post, that's not how the apparent weight of the object is defined.

Oh ok. So, if apparent weight cannot be integrated in the algebra, can this be seen conceptually? Additionally, when ρobjfluid, the object would be seen as submerged but won't sink, yes? I think I am getting the idea now.

brake4country said:
Oh ok. So, if apparent weight cannot be integrated in the algebra, can this be seen conceptually?
This problem can be solved algebraically, just not in the way you are convinced it should be.

By ignoring what Archimedes principle is telling you about what the apparent weight of the object is when submerged, I really can't offer you any further guidance, except:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes'_principle

Additionally, when ρobjfluid, the object would be seen as submerged but won't sink, yes? I think I am getting the idea now.

If the density of the object is the same as the density of the fluid in which it is immersed, the object is said to be neutrally buoyant, which is a fancy way of saying it won't float and it won't sink.

When submarines submerge, they take in just enough water as ballast to become neutrally buoyant. While submerged, the submarine changes depth by using its control planes to bring the bow up or down when the sub is going ahead. To surface, the submerged sub uses compressed air to remove water from the ballast tanks in order to restore positive buoyancy to the vessel, which then rises to the surface and floats naturally.

Related to Understanding Archimedes' Principle: Solving for Density in a Buoyancy Problem

What is buoyancy force?

Buoyancy force is the upward force exerted on an object when it is placed in a fluid (liquid or gas). This force is caused by the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object, with the greater pressure at the bottom pushing the object upwards.

How is buoyancy force related to density?

Buoyancy force is directly related to the density of the fluid. The denser the fluid, the greater the buoyancy force. This is because a denser fluid exerts more pressure on the object, resulting in a greater upward force.

What is the principle of buoyancy?

The principle of buoyancy, also known as Archimedes' principle, states that the buoyancy force on an object is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces. In other words, the weight of the fluid that is pushed aside by an object is equal to the upward force exerted on the object by the fluid.

How does the shape and size of an object affect buoyancy force?

The shape and size of an object can affect the buoyancy force in several ways. A larger object will displace more fluid, resulting in a greater buoyancy force. The shape of an object can also affect the distribution of pressure, with objects that are more streamlined experiencing less resistance and therefore more buoyancy force.

How does buoyancy force play a role in objects floating or sinking?

Buoyancy force is the determining factor in whether an object will float or sink in a fluid. If the buoyancy force is greater than the weight of the object, it will float. If the weight of the object is greater than the buoyancy force, it will sink. The density of the object also plays a role, with objects that are less dense than the fluid floating and objects that are more dense sinking.