Calculating Volume of Mercury Displaced by a Tanker on a Different Planet

In summary, the problem is asking for the volume of mercury that a tanker, originally displacing 5.64763x10^8kg of water, would displace on a new planet. To solve this, we can use the equation PfVfg=Weight of displaced fluid, and with the known density of mercury, we can solve for the volume. Additionally, the information about the volume of water is not necessary and the gravity of the new planet will be needed to use the equation. Examples from the text or class notes can also be helpful in solving this problem.
Milad_1989

Homework Statement

500m long tanker loaded displaces 5.64763x10^8kg water. the tanker is moved to another planet, and it has to displace mercury. What volume of mercury would it displace? and do you need the gravity on that planet?

Homework Equations

Fb=Fg pf object of subject = P0V0g
PfVfg=Weight of displaced fluid=p0v0g=weight of object
Vu=v0-vf=v0-(p0v0g/pfg)=v0(1-(po/pf)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tired to find the volume of water, the vf and tried every thing, i don't seem to get anywhere.. Can some one direct me to the right path?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you need to know to find out how much mercury the tanker displaces?

I would probably need to find the volume of the tank to find how much it can hold... But i am not really sure how i can use it... what equations would help me get to the volume of the mercury

Well, what is the volume of mercury going to be doing?

Its going to be displaced by the tanker... so i have to use PfVfg=Weight of displaced fluid...
But then i still have 2 unknowns vf and the weight displaced... hmm

Its going to be displaced but its also going to support the tanker isn't it. Can you work from there?

i can solve for the volume of water, but do i know enough to find the volume of mercury?

You should be able to solve for volume of mercury. In fact you don't really need to work out the volume of water. That information is there to help you work out the mass of the tanker.

Then i need the gravity of the new planet to use any of these equations given... I do have the density of mercury=1.36x10^4 kg m3

Have you read any examples from the text you're working from or your class notes? Have you tried writing down any relevant equations and manipulating them? If so post what you've tried.

1. What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object partially or fully submerged in the fluid. It is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

2. How do you calculate buoyant force?

Buoyant force can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the volume of the displaced fluid and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle states that the buoyant force on an object submerged in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

4. How does the shape of an object affect the buoyant force?

The shape of an object does not directly affect the buoyant force, but it does affect the amount of fluid that the object displaces, which in turn affects the buoyant force.

5. What are some real-life applications of buoyant force?

Buoyant force is used in designing and operating ships, submarines, and other vessels that float on water. It is also used in hot air balloons and blimps to provide lift. Additionally, it is important in understanding the behavior of objects in fluids, such as understanding how fish are able to stay afloat in water.