Butterworth Filter Tutorials & Books

• Thread starter EvLer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Filter
In summary, a high pass filter with a cut off frequency of 50 Hz produces a phase shift and cutoff at 30 Hz.
EvLer
Does anyone know of a good tutorial/book that explains Butterworth filter and filters in general?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you interested mainly in the analog aspects like with opamps, or digital filters? The digital filter book that I suggested in a recent thread is pretty good, and it talks a little about analog implementations in a later chapter. The Horowitz and Hill electronics book has a pretty good intro, but doesn't go into a lot of depth about the different filter topologies and tradeoffs.

I need analog, our textbook (Lin & DeCarlo) has a chapter, but I need something that explains how the polynomial originates, what's the use of all the terms like inverted ohm's sign and all the standard notations used. In other words, something basic and detailed :frown: .
I can do the hw, but i don't feel like i have a good grasp on what is going on.

Introduction to random signals and applied kalman filtering:

Brown-Hwang.

If those kinds of filters are what ur talking about, but that's for grad work. I have the book, I am not a grad student, but I was told its good by ppl at work so I bought it. Hope to read thorough it someday in the near future.

EvLer said:
I need analog, our textbook (Lin & DeCarlo) has a chapter, but I need something that explains how the polynomial originates, what's the use of all the terms like inverted ohm's sign and all the standard notations used. In other words, something basic and detailed :frown: .
I can do the hw, but i don't feel like i have a good grasp on what is going on.
I googled the following:

analog filter polynomial tutorial butterworth cheby

and got lots of interesting hits. Maybe try that google to see if it helps.

Hi all,
I am designing a high pass filter which has cut off frequency of 50 Hz. I have chosen butterworth filter to do this. But the problem is, the output shows a phase shift and the cutoff is about 30 Hz..Could anyone give a suggestion of how to have zero phase shift and cut off at 50Hz?

Related to Butterworth Filter Tutorials & Books

1. What is a Butterworth filter?

A Butterworth filter is a type of electronic filter that is designed to have a flat frequency response in the passband. It is commonly used in signal processing applications to remove unwanted noise or to select specific frequency components of a signal.

2. How does a Butterworth filter work?

A Butterworth filter works by using a set of capacitors and resistors to create a frequency-dependent voltage divider. This voltage divider attenuates frequencies outside of the desired passband, resulting in a smooth response in the passband. The order of the filter determines how quickly the filter attenuates frequencies outside of the passband.

3. What is the difference between a low-pass and high-pass Butterworth filter?

A low-pass Butterworth filter allows frequencies lower than a certain cutoff frequency to pass through, while attenuating higher frequencies. A high-pass Butterworth filter, on the other hand, allows frequencies higher than the cutoff frequency to pass through, while attenuating lower frequencies. Both filters have a smooth frequency response in their respective passbands.

4. How do I design a Butterworth filter?

Designing a Butterworth filter involves choosing the desired cutoff frequency and the order of the filter. The cutoff frequency is determined by the specific application, while the order of the filter affects the rate of attenuation outside of the passband. There are various online calculators and software tools available to help with designing a Butterworth filter.

5. Are there any resources available for learning more about Butterworth filters?

Yes, there are many tutorials and books available for learning more about Butterworth filters. Some recommended resources include "An Introduction to Analog and Digital Communications" by Simon Haykin, "Active Filter Design" by T.H. Lee, and online tutorials from websites such as All About Circuits and Analog Devices.