Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stargazing Buying a telescope

1. Aug 29, 2004 #1
    Hi everyone,
    I'm finally buying my first astronomical telescope, and was wondering if any of you have an opinion to offer on what a good choice would be. My price range, including a few extra eye pieces, is anything under about $US700. I was thinking a 6 or 8 inch reflector, dobsonian mount. I've played around with a 4 and half inch reflector, equitorial mounted, and I know I want something with a little more aperture than that, but not too massive as I'll be using it mostly from my backyard (which has a view of a decently dark sky- I can see the Milky Way faintly on good nights). Any one want to comment? I also need to know which manufacturers would be a good choice. I've talked to some very knowledgable people at stores, however I thought a bunch of different people's thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2004 #2

turbo

Gold Member

Here is a link to a telescope that should fit your needs, 8" dob, and comes in at $400 with a couple of eyepieces. I have dealt with Orion in the past, and have been satisfied with their products and service. However, instead of buying new, you might want to see if there are any astronomy clubs, swap meets, etc nearby where you could buy a used telescope and accessories and save some money. You might even want to run a want ad in the local paper or post a notice on the bulletin boards of a few local colleges - lots of people have unused astronomy gear that they don't use, and they might not think about selling it until they see your ad. Anyway, good luck!

http://www.telescope.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=366&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=

4. Aug 29, 2004 #3
  5. Aug 29, 2004 #4

Labguy

Science Advisor

If you're considering buying used, the only place I would consider is Astromart at: http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/

You have to become a member (free), but nobody ever seems to take a beating or a bath and you can find anything ever made for amateur astronomy. Telescopes, eyepieces, finders, everything.

6. Aug 30, 2004 #5
    OK, thanks everyone, I'm checking those links out now. Yesterday, I also got a copy of the Backyard Astronomer's Guide by Terence Dickinson and Alan Dyer, which has also been very helpful. Anyone else have a particular brand name that they like?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?