How can I find and purchase electronic components in small quantities?

In summary, finding specific electronic components with certain requirements can be a time-consuming process. It involves researching through catalogs and browsing surplus electronics stores, as well as using search engines on distributor websites and manufacturer websites. This is an important skill for engineers and requires a lot of leg work and research. Some recommended distributors are DigiKey, Mouser, Newark, and Farnell. It is also helpful to study and keep up with what is available in the real world.
durkmusic
When you need a component (ex. SCR) with specific requirements (ex. 12amp max and less than 20mA gate trigger current) how do you go about finding the component? How do you know what's out there for purchase in extremely small quantities (like just a few). This always becomes a problem when I am doing a project. I know what I need but I don't know how or where to get it. I hope I have explained myself well and I hope there is someone that will read this and guide me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You spend a lot of time with catalogs and browsing around surplus electronics stores, talking to the strange and wonderful people who keep such places stocked.

There is some standardization in components though - which helps.

If you are in Europe, I would suggest googling Farnell. If you are in the US, google digikey, newark, mouser, arrow, or avnet. You can use their websites to do a parametric search. Also, you can check manufacturer websites to see if they make the device you're looking for, and then use their parametric searches to find one with the right specs and then search that part number in any of the above distributors.

The big part of being a real engineer is component search! In school, you study theory, in real world, you study and keep up with what's out there in the real world. There is no short cut ways, you have to pay the piper. You do your research now and it'll pay off later.

I remember when I first started out, I spent so much time on what's out there, I studied the whole Ti TTL data book on what is available. Then start calling. Now, I still have to do research every time I run across some new requirement. When I got into music electronics last year, I spent over one week to look for audio frequency transistors, op-amp that are low noise, low power for battery powered electronics. I just spent over a week looking for switches, enclosure, connectors, potentiometers... Everything is about research, no short cut.

Start with DigiKey

http://www.digikey.com/

They sell small quantity and ship fast.

All places like Mouser, Digikey, Newark etc. have search engines for you to use. Another way is the go to manufacturer sites like Ti, ON-Semi etc and look. But mostly is leg work. It'll pay off in the long run for you.

wow thank you all so much for the replies. I had no idea! I actually enjoy researching and looking for components I just needed a better strategy. Thank you all for the tips. I think it will help me in my future projects. I will probably be posting in this forum more since I am now studying Electrical Engineering at the University of Cincinnati.

Thank again (:

1. What factors should be considered when buying electronic components?

When buying electronic components, it is important to consider the component's specifications, compatibility with other components, quality and reliability, price, and availability. It is also crucial to make sure that the components are purchased from reputable and trustworthy suppliers.

2. How do I determine the right type and quantity of electronic components to buy?

The type and quantity of electronic components needed depend on the specific project or application. It is essential to have a clear understanding of the project's requirements and carefully research the components that will best suit those needs. It is also recommended to consult with experts or experienced individuals in the field for guidance.

3. What are some common mistakes to avoid when buying electronic components?

Some common mistakes to avoid when buying electronic components include not checking the compatibility of the components, not verifying the quality and authenticity of the components, and not having a proper understanding of the project's requirements. It is also important to avoid purchasing from unreliable or unknown suppliers.

4. Are there any precautions I should take when purchasing electronic components online?

When buying electronic components online, it is essential to be cautious and verify the authenticity and quality of the components before making a purchase. It is also recommended to purchase from trusted and reputable online suppliers and to read reviews or ask for recommendations from others in the industry.

5. How can I ensure the reliability and durability of electronic components?

To ensure the reliability and durability of electronic components, it is crucial to purchase from reputable suppliers and manufacturers, check the component's specifications and quality, and properly handle and store the components. It is also recommended to perform regular maintenance and testing on the components to identify any issues or defects early on.