BVP's or Probability & Statistics?

In summary, if you are a junior physics major planning to attend graduate school in the fall of 2012 and can only fit one math course in your summer semester, it is recommended that you take MATH 3215 - Introduction to Probability & Statistics. This course, covering chapters 1-8 of the book "Probability and Statistical Inference" by Hogg and Tanis, will provide you with a foundation for future applications and study. While MATH 4581 - Classical Math Methods in Engineering, covering chapters 0-5 of the book "Boundary Value Problems" by David L. Powers, may also be useful for your graduate studies, it is recommended to focus on probability theory as it may have a broader application in your
lsaldana
Hello all,

Because of some schedule problems my summer semester can only fit 1 math course and I need some advice in deciding which one would be more useful. I'm a junior physics major with intents to attend graduate school in the Fall of 2012. Basically which one would be more useful in a graduate setting.

MATH 3215- Introduction to Probability & Statistics
Book: Probability and Statistical Inference, Hogg and Tanis (Covering Chapters 1-8)
Description:
This course is a problem oriented introduction to the basic concepts of probability and statistics, providing a foundation for applications and further study.

MATH 4581 - Classical Math Methods in Engineering
Book: Boundary Value Problems, David L. Powers 6th edition (Covering Chapters 0-5)
Description:
The course will discuss the solution of Boundary Value Problems for classical Partial Differential Equations. The Laplace transform and applications, Fourier series, boundary value problems for partial differential equations.

I'll be taking a grad level math methods for physics course in the fall that will cover some PDE's but not probability theory. Summer registration is days away and my advisor doesn't pay much attention...advice please? Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump.

If I were you, then I would take the probability course. The reason is that you will have a PDE course in your graduate program, so you will have the chance to learn PDE's then. Furthermore, knowing some probability and statistics could probably help you a lot in the long run (depending on what your research will be).

1. What is the difference between a BVP and a probability?

A BVP (Boundary Value Problem) is a type of mathematical problem that involves solving a differential equation subject to a set of boundary conditions. Probability, on the other hand, is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. While both involve calculations and equations, BVPs are specific to mathematical problems while probability is a more general concept used in various fields.

2. How is probability used in statistics?

Probability is used in statistics to analyze and interpret data. It allows us to calculate the likelihood of certain events occurring based on the data we have. This helps us make predictions and draw conclusions from the data, which is crucial in fields such as economics, finance, and psychology.

3. What are the different types of probability?

There are three main types of probability: theoretical, experimental, and subjective. Theoretical probability is based on mathematical principles and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on the results of experiments or observations. Subjective probability is based on personal beliefs or opinions.

4. What is the role of statistics in probability?

Statistics and probability are closely related and often used together. Statistics is the practice of collecting, organizing, analyzing, and interpreting data. Probability provides the theoretical foundation for statistical methods and helps us make predictions and draw conclusions from data. Without probability, statistical analysis would not be possible.

5. How is probability used in real-life situations?

Probability is used in a wide range of real-life situations, from predicting stock market trends to understanding the likelihood of a medical treatment being successful. It is also used in risk assessment, weather forecasting, and sports betting. In everyday life, we often use probability to make decisions, such as choosing the best route to avoid traffic or buying a lottery ticket.