C as Energy Conversion Constant: Conservation Law Explained

In summary, according to the law of conservation of energy, the universe was created with a fixed amount of energy, and this energy only transforms from one form to another. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but if the waves will move faster than C , the energy conservation law will simply be violated.
xcom2112
I was thinking about the law of conservation of energy, states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed.

Then I thought about it more broadly, it actually states that the universe was created with a fixed amount of energy (and this energy only transforms from one form to another)

And then I thought a little more, in the big bang the universe was formed from energy, part of that energy became matter, according to the famous equation E = mc2

or Electromagnetic waves
f83cb831ce59c5745ee4e7af60b4f68710405b6b

so C is not the speed of electromagnetic waves (in a vacuum) or anything like that, it is simply the ratio in which energy becomes something else.

And if the energy in the universe is constant (as I assumed at the beginning), which for me is the only axiom, then if the waves will move faster than C , the energy conservation law will simply be violated.

Maybe someone already put it this way? (I've never seen, at least not at university, a way of looking at things like that)

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of energy does not apply to the universe as a whole - there is no global energy conservation in general relativity.
xcom2112 said:
so C is not the speed of electromagnetic waves (in a vacuum) or anything like that, it is simply the ratio in which energy becomes something else.
It is related to both. But more fundamentally, it is the universal speed limit.
xcom2112 said:
then if the waves will move faster than C , the energy conservation law will simply be violated.
That doesn't make sense.

xcom2112 said:
And if the energy in the universe is constant (as I assumed at the beginning), which for me is the only axiom
That's a natural assumption, but it turns out not to be correct. It's not so much that energy isn't conserved (it is - see below) but that there is no unambiguous way of defining "the total amount of energy in the universe" so nothing we can point to and say "this quantity is conserved".

We can reword the law of conservation of energy to be more precise: Imagine an arbitrarily small box. At some moment it contains a certain amount of energy, and a moment later it contains a different amount. The difference between the two will be exactly equal to the amount of energy that left or entered the box. In this form the law of conservation of energy works just fine, but it is also clear that it cannot be extended to cover the entire universe. For a bit more detail, you might be interested in http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/energy_gr.html

xcom2112 said:
part of that energy became matter, according to the famous equation E = mc2

The ##m## in the expression ##mc^2## represents mass, not matter. The Einstein mass-energy equivalence teaches us that mass is not a measure of the quantity of matter because the mass of a composite body is made up in at least part by the energies of the constituents.

And ##mc^2## is not equal to the total energy of a body. It's equal to the rest energy.

Likes Imager and SiennaTheGr8

1. What is the value of C as an energy conversion constant?

The value of C as an energy conversion constant is 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s). This value is derived from the speed of light in a vacuum and is a fundamental constant in physics.

2. How is C related to energy conversion?

C is related to energy conversion through Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2, where E represents energy, m represents mass, and c represents the speed of light. This equation shows that mass and energy are interchangeable, and the speed of light is the factor that converts between the two.

3. Why is C considered a conservation law?

C is considered a conservation law because the speed of light is a constant in all inertial reference frames. This means that the speed of light remains the same regardless of the observer's position or movement, which is a fundamental principle in conservation laws.

4. How does C affect our understanding of energy conservation?

C affects our understanding of energy conservation by showing that energy can be converted into mass and vice versa. This concept is crucial in understanding the conservation of energy in various physical processes, such as nuclear reactions, which involve the conversion of mass into energy.

5. Can C be changed or manipulated?

No, C cannot be changed or manipulated. It is a fundamental constant in physics and remains the same in all inertial reference frames. However, scientists continue to study and research the implications of C in various physical phenomena to deepen our understanding of energy conservation.