C++ assignment involving classes

In summary, two students are discussing a homework assignment involving creating a polynomial class using arrays of rationals from a rational class. One student is struggling with implementing operator overloading for addition and is asking for help. They discuss using the data member "coeff" and using the brackets [] to access it, and also mention using a debugger for help. The other student provides advice and suggests using the construct "c.coeff[i]" instead of "c[i]" and using if-statements for overloading the output operator.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ugh! I'm working on my last homework assignment and I can't seem to even get off the ground. :cry:
The teacher created a class for rational numbers, and now we are working on some functions for a polynomial class which uses arrays of rationals from his class. My polynomials are arrays of coefficients with each stored at an index position representing the power of x the coefficient is multiplied to.
I'm embarrassed to ask for help because there are 4 files involved: the rational class header and implementation file and the polynomial class header and implementation file.
I know you people have better things to do this weekend, but if anyone is really bored, the assignment and files are here:
http://www.math.ucla.edu/~rclark/10a.1.05w/hw6/hw6.html
It's the polynomial.cpp file where we have to fill in the blanks.
One of the first things I tried to do was the operator overloading to define addition for polynomials. Here's what I tried:
Code:
// operator+
polynomial operator+(const polynomial & a,const polynomial & b)
{
	polynomial c;
	for (int num = 0; num < polynomial::SIZE; num ++) //fill array with zeros
		c[num] = 0;
	for (int i = 0; i < polynomial::SIZE; i ++) //compute sum
		c[i] = a[i] + b[i];
	return c;
}
So far, not so good. It would be a huge help if someone could help me get just this piece fixed up. Thanks,
MIH

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why does the class's name not appear in the declaration of the function? Does this function appear in the header, inside the class declaration, or in the implementation file?

- Warren

Math Is Hard said:
Ugh! I'm working on my last homework assignment and I can't seem to even get off the ground. :cry:
The teacher created a class for rational numbers, and now we are working on some functions for a polynomial class which uses arrays of rationals from his class. My polynomials are arrays of coefficients with each stored at an index position representing the power of x the coefficient is multiplied to.
I'm embarrassed to ask for help because there are 4 files involved: the rational class header and implementation file and the polynomial class header and implementation file.
I know you people have better things to do this weekend, but if anyone is really bored, the assignment and files are here:
http://www.math.ucla.edu/~rclark/10a.1.05w/hw6/hw6.html
It's the polynomial.cpp file where we have to fill in the blanks.
One of the first things I tried to do was the operator overloading to define addition for polynomials. Here's what I tried:
Code:
// operator+
polynomial operator+(const polynomial & a,const polynomial & b)
{
	polynomial c;
	for (int num = 0; num < polynomial::SIZE; num ++) //fill array with zeros
		c[num] = 0;
	for (int i = 0; i < polynomial::SIZE; i ++) //compute sum
		c[i] = a[i] + b[i];
	return c;
}
So far, not so good. It would be a huge help if someone could help me get just this piece fixed up. Thanks,
MIH

The polynomial class has a data member coeff that holds the coefficients. Thus, need to use the construct:

c.coeff=a.coeff+b.coeff;

Right?

Oh yea, be nice if you could run this through a debugger. Microsoft Visual C++ has a nice one.

Last edited by a moderator:
MIH,

In general, please tell also provide us the compiler (and linker) output when asking questions like this. It's really hard (if not impossible) to diagnose a piece of code like this taken from a larger piece of unknown code. You didn't even tell us why it was "not so good."

- Warren

ok, sorry. I am using MS VC++ v 6. The whole thing (all four files) is at the link I listed in my OP. The class name is polynomial. It's defined in polynomial.h.
Saltydog - yes I believe that's the problem I was having. It was not using that coeff data member. That's where I was screwing up, I bet.
I wasn't sure if it was ok for me to use the brackets [], because I was getting errors (among the jillions of other errors) about [ not being defined. I felt so lost I didn't even know how to describe the problem I was having because there were so many.
Thanks so much for looking at that. I'll go work on this some more.

Math Is Hard said:
about [ not being defined.

You got that error because using the construct c implies an "array" of polynomials which you did not define. Use the same c.coeff construct for operator-, a little more complicated looping for operator*, and some if-statements for overloading the output operator and return "os" after you've filled it up with the polynomial.

cheers, SD! this helps a lot.

1. What is a class in C++?

A class in C++ is a user-defined data type that encapsulates data and functions together. It serves as a blueprint for creating objects, which are instances of a class. Classes are essential for creating modular and reusable code in C++.

2. How do you declare a class in C++?

To declare a class in C++, you use the class keyword followed by the name of the class and a pair of curly braces. Inside the braces, you can declare member variables and member functions. For example:

class Car {
    private:
        int speed;
        string brand;
    public:
        void accelerate();
        void brake();
        void startEngine();
        void stopEngine();
};

3. How do you define member functions in a class?

Member functions in a class can be defined inside or outside of the class declaration. To define a member function inside the class, you use the inline keyword before the function's return type. To define a member function outside of the class, you use the class_name:: scope resolution operator before the function name. For example:

class Car {
    public:
        void accelerate() {
            // function body
        }
        void brake(); // defined outside of the class
};
void Car::brake() {
    // function body
}

4. How do you create an object of a class in C++?

To create an object of a class in C++, you use the new keyword followed by the name of the class and a set of parentheses. The parentheses can contain arguments to pass to the class constructor, if it has any. For example:

Car* myCar = new Car(); // creates a new Car object
Car* yourCar = new Car("Ford"); // creates a new Car object with brand set to "Ford"

5. How do you access member variables and functions of a class object?

To access member variables and functions of a class object, you use the dot operator (.) between the object name and the member name. For example:

myCar.brand = "Tesla"; // sets the brand of myCar to "Tesla"
myCar.accelerate(); // calls the accelerate function of myCar