Cal 3 problem that is eating my brain - particle along a spiral path

In summary, the particle moves down a spiral path under the influence of gravity and free from friction. It travels a distance of x and has a velocity of v.
houdinilogic

Homework Statement

A particle is moving down a spiral path parameterized by: x = cos(au), y = sin(au), z = -u, where 0 \leq u \leq b (a,b real, >0). Starting from rest, the particle moves down the spiral under the influence of gravity and free from friction. Let g be the positive gravitational constant (so we're not assuming any value for g or particular units)

Find the position vector as a function of time.

Find the time it takes the particle to travel from the top of the spiral to the bottom.

Find the distance traveled by the particle.

Find the velocity of the particle when it reaches the bottom.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially, I used the vector < 0, 0, -g > for the acceleration, then integrated w/ respect to t (twice) to obtain expressions for the velocity and position in terms of t... then plugged in the expression (1/2)gt^2 for u in the parameterization to get the position vector of the particle. I feel pretty confident that this isn't correct.

I think I need to make use of the tangential acceleration, but I'm not entirely sure what to do. I think this problem is eating my brain, and would greatly appreciate any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
you want to draw a free body diagram, and consider the components of gravity, one in the x direction, one in the y direction, one in the z, depending on the angle. when the ball is on the x axis, it would look like an object on an incline right?

Yes, I've gotten that much. I think the part that's really giving me problems is finding a way to express the position as a vector in terms of t.

I'm going to work on it between class today and see what I come up with . Since I'm assuming the position starts above ground, I'm going to assume z=u positive. And where does b come into play btw?

OK I've worked on it , and this is what I've come up with.

im attaching it as a pdf file because it's too much to latex , and I don't have the time to write it all out, I apologize if the writing is too messy, but this should put you in a better direction .

oh and incase you're curious, [tex]\dot{x}=\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex] (Newtonian notation).

Attachments

• Spiral0001.pdf
    844.6 KB · Views: 238

Related to Cal 3 problem that is eating my brain - particle along a spiral path

1. What is the Cal 3 problem that involves a particle moving along a spiral path?

The Cal 3 problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the position of a particle as it moves along a spiral path, given its initial position and velocity. It is typically used to test students' understanding of vector calculus and differential equations.

2. How is the spiral path of the particle described mathematically?

The spiral path of the particle is described using parametric equations, where the position of the particle is represented by a set of coordinates (x,y,z) as a function of time. These equations take into account the particle's initial position, velocity, and acceleration, as well as any external forces acting on the particle.

3. What is the significance of the particle's initial position and velocity in the Cal 3 problem?

The initial position and velocity of the particle are crucial in determining its trajectory along the spiral path. These values are used to calculate the particle's acceleration and ultimately its position at any given time. Therefore, any errors or uncertainties in these initial values can greatly affect the accuracy of the solution.

4. How is the Cal 3 problem solved?

The Cal 3 problem is typically solved using mathematical techniques such as integration and differentiation to find the position, velocity, and acceleration of the particle at any given time. These values are then plugged into the parametric equations to obtain the particle's position as it moves along the spiral path.

5. What real-world applications does the Cal 3 problem have?

The Cal 3 problem has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It can be used to model the motion of particles in a spiral galaxy, the trajectory of a projectile, or the path of a particle in a magnetic field. It is also used in computer graphics to simulate the movement of objects in animation and video games.