1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc II - Integration of Partial Fractions

1. Sep 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi everyone, here is a new partial fractions question I just cannot understand:

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{x^{3}}{x^{3}+1}[/tex]dx

2. Relevant equations

Partial Fractions, difference of perfect cubes, polynomial long division

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{x^{3}}{x^{3}+1}[/tex] dx

[tex]\int[/tex]1 dx + [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{-1}{x^{3}+1}[/tex] dx

x + [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{-1}{(x+1)(x^{2}-x+1)}[/tex] dx

[tex]\frac{A}{x+1}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{B}{(x^{2}-x+1)}[/tex]

A(x[tex]^{2}[/tex]-x+1) + B(x+1) = - 1

If I use coefficients:
    x[tex]^{2}[/tex]: 0=A
    x: 0 = B-A
    : -1 = A+B

These don't add up! Also, using critical values leads me to a similar problem. What am I doing wrong in my strategy of attacking these partial fractions??

Thank you for your time and help, you all are so wonderful!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2008 #2
    [tex]\frac{A}{x+1}+\frac{B}{(x^{2}-x+1)}[/tex]

Remember that when you decompose the fraction, the numerator must be a general polynomial with degree one less than that of the denominator. What I'm getting at is that the numerator in your "B"-term is wrong. What should it be instead?

4. Sep 21, 2008 #3
    Hmm, I don't quite understand what you are saying. I thought I was just supposed to multiply the numerator by the denominator and cancel. Is there another concept I am missing?

5. Sep 21, 2008 #4

statdad

Homework Helper

If the denominator is linear, the numerator must be a constant. If the denominator is an irreducible quadratic, the numerator should be a ********** (hint: not a constant)

6. Sep 21, 2008 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The numerator of each term must be a polynomial of degree one less than the degree of the denominator. [tex]x^2-x+1[/tex] is a 2nd degree polynomial, so the numerator for that term should be a first degree polynomial; [tex]Bx+C[/tex].

7. Sep 21, 2008 #6
    In your second term, you just put a B in the numerator. But that is a zeroth order polynomial when you have a second order polynomial in the denominator. So instead of just B, you need to put in an arbitrary first order polynomial. What is another name for a first order polynomial?

8. Sep 21, 2008 #7
    Right gabbagabbahey. Notice that the largest exponent in the denominator is 2. So the largest exponent in the numerator should be 1 (i.e. one less than 2).

9. Sep 21, 2008 #8
    So it should be Bx?

10. Sep 21, 2008 #9
    ohh I see gabbagabbahey, I should have a Bx and a separate C over the same denominator?

11. Sep 21, 2008 #10

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should have:
    [tex]\frac{A}{x+1}+\frac{Bx+C}{(x^{2}-x+1)} [/tex]

12. Sep 21, 2008 #11
    Yes. By "general" or "arbitrary" we mean that you have to include all the terms. e.g. for a second order polynomial you'd have
    [tex]Ax^2+Bx+C[/tex].
    You must include all the lower order terms too (i.e. the 2nd (A), 1st (B) and 0th (C) terms).

13. Sep 21, 2008 #12
    Ok! I got it now! Thank you both! Hopefully I'll never have to post about partial fractions again :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?