Calc II Y = (a^2 - x^2)^(1/2)

• Thread starter calc II
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the surface area when Y = (a^2 - x^2)^(1/2) is revolved around the x-axis. The participants discussed the geometric implications of the equation and the importance of understanding arc length and surface area formulas. They also suggested examining the relationship between y = (a^2 - x^2)^(1/2) and y^2 + x^2 = a^2 to gain a better understanding of the problem.
calc II
?Find the surface area when Y = (a^2 - x^2)^(1/2) is revolved around the x-axis?

?Geometrically, what have you found?

Please help. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you show us what you have tried? It might give us an idea on where you need help.

Also, there is a template for homework posts. For future reference, please use it. It should appear by default whenever you start a new topic in the homework section.

Char. Limit said:
Could you show us what you have tried? It might give us an idea on where you need help.

Also, there is a template for homework posts. For future reference, please use it. It should appear by default whenever you start a new topic in the homework section.

I just need help on how to set up the problem. (And i'll definitely use the template next time)

Well, firstly, how well do you know arc length? Because it will be needed here...

And tell me, how would you find the surface area of a regular solid, like say a cylinder, that has no top or bottom to consider?

Your equation in a more elegant format:

[tex]y=\sqrt{a^2-x^2}[/tex]

calc II said:
?Find the surface area when Y = (a^2 - x^2)^(1/2) is revolved around the x-axis?

?Geometrically, what have you found?

Please help. Thank you.

Your equation [tex]y=\sqrt{a^2-x^2}[/tex] may be more recognizable in the form [itex]y^2+x^2=a^2[/itex]. What shape does the graph of this equation have? Can you deduce how [tex]y=\sqrt{a^2-x^2}[/tex] relates to [itex]y^2+x^2=a^2[/itex]? This should help with the second question (and also give you an idea of what to expect for the answer to the first question). As Char.Limit pointed out, a good look at the arc length and surface area formulas might be in order.

1. What is the formula for calculating the derivative of Y = (a^2 - x^2)^(1/2)?

The derivative of Y = (a^2 - x^2)^(1/2) is given by (a^2 - x^2)^(-1/2) * (-2x).

2. How do I find the indefinite integral of Y = (a^2 - x^2)^(1/2)?

The indefinite integral of Y = (a^2 - x^2)^(1/2) is given by (1/2) * (a^2 - x^2)^(3/2) + C.

3. What is the domain and range of Y = (a^2 - x^2)^(1/2)?

The domain of Y = (a^2 - x^2)^(1/2) is all real numbers between -a and a, and the range is all real numbers between 0 and a.

4. Can the graph of Y = (a^2 - x^2)^(1/2) be shifted or translated?

Yes, the graph of Y = (a^2 - x^2)^(1/2) can be shifted or translated by adding or subtracting a constant value to the expression. This will shift the graph horizontally.

5. How can I use Y = (a^2 - x^2)^(1/2) to find the area under a curve?

To find the area under a curve represented by Y = (a^2 - x^2)^(1/2), you can use the definite integral formula with appropriate limits of integration. This will give you the area between the curve and the x-axis.