Calculate angles from infomation given

• B
  • Thread starter sunzone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles
In summary, the conversation is about a math problem where the person is trying to find the value of Q1 (and potentially Q2 and Q3) using information given in an image. They have drawn the problem and found a numerical value for Q1, but are struggling to prove it mathematically. The conversation then goes on to discuss different approaches and potential solutions, with the conclusion that there are multiple possible solutions but the exact number is small.
sunzone
Hello :)

I have a math problem, where I am trying to calculate Q1 (Q2 & Q3) with the info given on the image. I keep telling myself that i need Q2 or/and Q3 to find Q1, but i can't find a formula that i can use

I've drawn it, and found out that Q1 is 10mm, but i can't prove it with math (without drawing)

Is there a kind soul, that know the answer to it, its driving me nuts :)

Attachments

• Udklip.JPG
    Udklip.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 439
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework problem?

You can introduce the length of the bottom side as variable, then find two equations depending on this variable and Q1. That should help to determine all lengths and angles.

yes :)

we were told it was unsolvable :)

Thanks, i'll try to see if i can put up an equation :)

There is more than one solution, but you can find all solutions.

I'd break it up into a rectangle and two triangles. The bottom triangle would have side of 14, bottom of L1, and hypotenuse of sqrt(L1^2 + 14^2). Then another triangle with bottom 7.5, side of L2 and hypotenuse of sqrt(L2^2 + 7.5^2);

The sum of the two hypotenuses must equal the hypotenuse of the larger triangle. So 30 = sqrt(L1^2 + 14^2) + sqrt(L2^2 + 7.5^2) = sqrt((L2 + 14)^2 + (L1 + 7.5)^2)).

That should be calculable and from there you can just do the trig.

I think the answer will always be some kind of equation? I tried to find a solution but when i made the drawing i started to see that there must be many solution for Q1, Q2 and Q3. Am i right in this or is that only one solution for the 3 variables.

My point of view is that one can rotate the hypotenuse around the horizontal with length 7.5. So there is a boundary for the two right sides of the big triangle due to the 7.5 length. I think the bottem right side must be always > 7.5 and the left ride side must be > 14. Q1 can never be so big that the bottom gets <7.5 etc
How could one state that more mathematically correct? The way i write that here is maybe very confusing.

ElectricRay said:
I think the answer will always be some kind of equation?
No, the answers are specific numbers. There is more than one, but the number of solutions is small.

I try to figure it out but i get always two unknown variables. This is a fun problem by the way.

And what is a small amount of solutions? 2, 10 or maybe 100? It is surely not infinite that's what i tried to explain in my previous post.

ElectricRay said:
And what is a small amount of solutions? 2, 10 or maybe 100? It is surely not infinite that's what i tried to explain in my previous post.
And you can find the numbers - although analytic expressions for them are messy as you get a 4th order polynomial.

Only so much solutions I am confused now very much. HMMM I would really think i can plug in many real number for L1 and calculate the rest if I would do it the way NewJerseyRunner proposed. When i try to solve it I come on the same equation.

What is the formula for calculating angles?

The formula for calculating an angle depends on the given information. For example, if the lengths of two sides of a triangle are known, the angle can be calculated using the Law of Cosines. If the lengths of all three sides are known, the angle can be calculated using the Law of Sines.

What is the difference between acute, obtuse, and right angles?

An acute angle is less than 90 degrees, an obtuse angle is greater than 90 degrees, and a right angle is exactly 90 degrees.

How do you find the missing angle of a triangle?

To find the missing angle of a triangle, you can use the fact that the sum of all angles in a triangle is 180 degrees. So, if you know the measurements of two angles, you can subtract their sum from 180 to find the missing angle.

Can angles be negative?

No, angles cannot be negative. Angles are typically measured in degrees or radians, both of which are positive units of measurement. If an angle appears to be negative, it means that it is measured in the opposite direction of the positive angle.

What is a protractor and how is it used to measure angles?

A protractor is a tool used to measure angles. It typically consists of a semicircle with degree markings and a center point. To use a protractor, you align the center point with the vertex of the angle and then read the measurement where the second side of the angle intersects with the degree markings on the protractor.