Calculate Centre of Gravity/Mass of Non-Uniform Objects Using Load Cells

In summary: The third coordinate (z) is determined by the weight readings at each point. In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the centre of gravity/mass of a non-uniform object using load cells in movable positions. The object is lowered onto three points and the weight reading at each point is measured individually. The method of calculating the center of gravity involves finding the intersection of two lines in a three-dimensional object. The lines are determined by taking two sets of weight readings with different orientations of the object and using the equations provided. The total weight of the object should not change between the two measurements, and the final result will include three coordinates (x, y, z) to determine the center of gravity. The conversation also mentions the use of
cps.13
Hi,

I need to calculate the centre of gravity/mass of a non uniform object. The setup will be using load cells to measure the weight of the object in moveable positions.

If you imagine an object being lowered onto 3 points, the weight reading at each point can be measured individually. But these points will not always be in the same position (i.e. I will not have a permanent equilateral triangle of my 3 points).

I am hoping for an answer in co-ordinates. I can pin point a datum point if required.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would like to avoid a calculus method as I will need to program it into a PLC which does not have complex calculus instructions built in.

I thought about doing it using vectors but I cannot figure out how.

Many thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a three-dimensional problem or just two-dimensional?
If you know the positions of the three points and their weight readings, you can assume your object just has three mass points at the corresponding points, and calculate the (2D) center of gravity just based on those three masses (just additions and divisions, nothing complex). If you need the 3D center of gravity, you'll have to repeat the measurement with a different orientation of the object, and find the intersection of two lines. This does not need complex calculations either.

it will be a three dimensional object. Weighing it twice isn't a problem. what calculations do you need to do?

I found this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_mass under the "locating the centre of mass" section but I got lost with the calulation.

Thanks,

Assuming your forces are all purely vertical, you can simplify the third equation to
$$\vec{R}=\frac{1}{W} \left( F_1 \vec{r_1} + F_2 \vec{r_2} + F_3 \vec{r_3} \right)$$
That gives you the 2-dimensional center of mass, or equivalently one line through the object that goes through the 3D center of mass. Define some coordinate system, express that line in that coordinate system, repeat with another measurement, look for the intersection of the two lines.

Ok, so far this is what I have done...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j712tkvuaul9rk0/graphs.jpg?dl=0

I have done (I think!) the calculation you have said to do, but I don't understand how these will provide you co-ordinates to draw a line. I only get one set of co-ordinates.

Are you able to tell me where I'm going wrong?

Thanks,

The third dimension gives the line.
How did you rotate your object between the measurements?

The total weight should not change...

I know the weight shouldn't change. This is an issue I need to address with the load cells but not my primary concern at the moment. I meant to state that in my last post but forgot!

What do you mean the third line? at present I can only draw one line. Am I getting my first two coordinates correct?

Thanks.

cps.13 said:
at present I can only draw one line
Both measurements give you one line each.
cps.13 said:
Am I getting my first two coordinates correct?
The approach is right, I didn't check the numbers.

But how do you draw one line with one coordinate?

Thanks

cps.13 said:
But how do you draw one line with one coordinate?
Two coordinates (x and y) in the horizontal plane allow you to draw a vertical line in three dimensional space.

What is the center of gravity/mass of an object?

The center of gravity/mass is a point at which the entire weight of an object can be considered to act vertically downwards. It is the point at which an object is perfectly balanced in all directions.

How is the center of gravity/mass of an object calculated?

The center of gravity/mass of an object can be calculated by finding the weighted average of all the individual points of mass within the object. This is typically done by dividing the total weight of the object by the sum of the individual weights at each point.

What is a load cell and how does it help in calculating the center of gravity/mass?

A load cell is a type of sensor that measures the weight or force applied to it. By using multiple load cells at different points on an object, the distribution of weight can be measured and used to calculate the center of gravity/mass.

What are the challenges of calculating the center of gravity/mass of non-uniform objects?

The main challenge in calculating the center of gravity/mass of non-uniform objects is the variation in weight distribution throughout the object. This requires more precise measurements and calculations to determine the exact center of gravity/mass.

What are some applications of knowing the center of gravity/mass of an object?

The center of gravity/mass is important in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and sports. It is used to design stable structures and vehicles, determine the stability of aircraft, and optimize performance in sports such as gymnastics and figure skating.