Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate change in temperature

1. Nov 8, 2012 #1
    Hallo Friends,

I have a parameters force,velocity, specific heat, & mass. Is there any relation to calcullate change in temperature using above parameters??

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2012 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi and welcome

Your question is a bit too 'open' for a specific answer but, amongst those quantities, you have the possibilty of knowing the mechanical Work done and working out the resulting Heating Effect. It sounds very much like Joule's original work on 'The Mechanical Equivalent of Heat'. We don't actually use that term nowadays but the figure 4.2J/cal still applies.

4. Nov 8, 2012 #3
    As stated above, you're most likely looking for the Work / Heat relationship.

5. Nov 8, 2012 #4
    Hi, kaushik939

This is a really (really) bad way of "doing" physics. I suppose you picked up all the parameters from a given problem, thinking that the description o what is it all about is irrelevant. But the description of the system and phenomena is the most important think or understanding and solving the problem. The relationship between the parameters will esentially depend on what is going on.
    You did not even specify velocity of what, heat capacity of what else, etc.
    Are these parameters of the same object?
    Think about it, it may be the velocity of the moon, the specific heat capacity of water, mass of your laptop, etc. Can you calculate the change in the temperature of a medium size coffee cup in 2 minutes from this data? This is maybe a quite extreme example, but I hope you understand that the details matter.

So to cut it short, can you write down the actual problem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook