Calculating temp rise caused by electric arc in an enclosed space

In summary, given a known closed space/apparatus (e.g. constant volume, pressure, density, current, temperature, voltage, spark gap distance), one would need to calculate the change in gas temperature. This would involve measuring the power supplied to the arc and applying the ordinary heating formula using the Specific Heat Capacity of the gas.
pixelsnpings
Summary:: Given a known closed space/apparatus ( e.g. constant volume, pressure, density, current, temperature, voltage, spark gap distance - let me know if I missed something) how would I compute the change in gas temperature.

Hello,

Given a known closed space/apparatus ( e.g. constant volume, pressure, density, current temperature, voltage, current, spark gap distance - let me know if I missed something) how would I compute the change in gas temperature. Obviously, temperature is not the only perameter that would change, I'm just focused on that parameter for now.

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

I would think that a first approximation would be to calculate the energy delivered to the gas (the electrical power to generate the arc multiplied by the arc duration in seconds). That energy would go into the light from the arc and the heating of the gas. I'm not sure in what proportions, though.

[Note -- Thread moved from the EE forum to the Thermo forum for better replies]

Likes Lnewqban
pixelsnpings said:
Summary:: Given a known closed space/apparatus ( e.g. constant volume, pressure, density, current, temperature, voltage, spark gap distance - let me know if I missed something) how would I compute the change in gas temperature.

Hello,

Given a known closed space/apparatus ( e.g. constant volume, pressure, density, current temperature, voltage, current, spark gap distance - let me know if I missed something) how would I compute the change in gas temperature. Obviously, temperature is not the only perameter that would change, I'm just focused on that parameter for now.

Thanks!
I presume you measure the power supplied to the arc, and assume this is the power supplied to the gas. Then you apply the ordinary heating formula using the Specific Heat Capacity of the gas. For air at constant volume (sealed box) the figure I have found is 0.718 kJ/kg K, and at constant pressure (vented box) 1.01.
So supposing we have 1 kg of air in a sealed box and we apply 1kW of energy for 10 seconds, energy supplied is 10 kJ. Then the temp rise will be 10/0.718 = 13.9 Kelvin.
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/specific-heat-capacity-gases-d_159.html

• Informative
Likes DaveE, Lnewqban and berkeman
@tech99, That is exactly what I need. Thank you so much!

Likes berkeman

What is an electric arc and how does it cause a temperature rise in an enclosed space?

An electric arc is a discharge of electricity between two electrodes that creates a bright, high-temperature plasma. When this arc occurs in an enclosed space, it can cause a rapid increase in temperature due to the release of thermal energy.

How do you calculate the temperature rise caused by an electric arc in an enclosed space?

The temperature rise caused by an electric arc can be calculated using the formula Q = I²Rt, where Q is the heat energy released, I is the current, R is the resistance, and t is the time. This formula takes into account the Joule heating effect, which is the conversion of electrical energy into heat energy.

What factors can affect the temperature rise caused by an electric arc in an enclosed space?

The temperature rise caused by an electric arc can be affected by several factors, including the amount of current flowing through the arc, the duration of the arc, the size of the enclosed space, and the materials used in the construction of the space.

How can the temperature rise caused by an electric arc be mitigated in an enclosed space?

To mitigate the temperature rise caused by an electric arc in an enclosed space, it is important to use materials with high thermal conductivity and heat resistance. Additionally, proper ventilation and cooling systems can be implemented to dissipate the heat and reduce the temperature rise.

What safety precautions should be taken when working with electric arcs in enclosed spaces?

Working with electric arcs in enclosed spaces can be dangerous and should only be done by trained professionals. All safety protocols, such as wearing protective gear and following proper procedures, should be strictly followed. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspections of equipment should be conducted to prevent any potential hazards.