Calculate Change in Velocity of Flatcar When Man Runs Opposite Direction

In summary, the man's movement causes the flatcar to increase its speed by 0.888 m/s in the positive direction of the x axis. This is found by using the equation m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2 and taking into account the masses and velocities of the man and the flatcar.
DavidAp
A man (weighing 746 N) stands on a long railroad flatcar (weighing 3000 N) as it rolls at 16.8 m/s in the positive direction of an x axis, with negligible friction. Then the man runs along the flatcar in the negative x direction at 4.46 m/s relative to the flatcar. What is the resulting increase in the speed of the flatcar?

Answer 0.888 m/s

Relevant Equations

m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2
F = ma

In my attempt I saw that I would probably have to work with the equation m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2 since I was asked to find the difference in velocities. Knowing that i solved for the masses of each object.
Man (Object 1)
F = 746 N
m = 746/9.8 = 76.12 kg

Flatcar (Object 2)
F = 3000 N
m = 3000/9.8 = 306.12 kg

After that I rearranged the conservation of momentum equation to fit the problem stated above. Since, in the beginning, they can be treated as one object the equation is,
u(m1 + m2) = m1(u-v1) + m2v2
I also noted that the velocity of the man was relative to the flatcar so I took the difference of the two velocities and assigned it to the man. After having this I solved for v2 and plugged in the knowns.
v2 = [u(m1 + m2) - m1(u-v1)]/m2
v2 = [16.8(76.12 + 306.12) - 76.12(16.8 - 4.46)]/306.12
v2 = 17.909 m/s

However, when I go and calculate the difference I get... well, something that is not the answer!
Δv = vf - vi = 17.909 - 16.8 = 1.109 m/s.

What did I do wrong? Did I not understand what the question was asking of me?
Thank you for taking the time to read and review my question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

DavidAp said:
A man (weighing 746 N) stands on a long railroad flatcar (weighing 3000 N) as it rolls at 16.8 m/s in the positive direction of an x axis, with negligible friction. Then the man runs along the flatcar in the negative x direction at 4.46 m/s relative to the flatcar. What is the resulting increase in the speed of the flatcar?

Answer 0.888 m/s

Relevant Equations

m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2
F = ma

In my attempt I saw that I would probably have to work with the equation m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2 since I was asked to find the difference in velocities. Knowing that i solved for the masses of each object.
Man (Object 1)
F = 746 N
m = 746/9.8 = 76.12 kg

Flatcar (Object 2)
F = 3000 N
m = 3000/9.8 = 306.12 kg

After that I rearranged the conservation of momentum equation to fit the problem stated above. Since, in the beginning, they can be treated as one object the equation is,
u(m1 + m2) = m1(u-v1) + m2v2
I also noted that the velocity of the man was relative to the flatcar so I took the difference of the two velocities and assigned it to the man. After having this I solved for v2 and plugged in the knowns.
v2 = [u(m1 + m2) - m1(u-v1)]/m2
v2 = [16.8(76.12 + 306.12) - 76.12(16.8 - 4.46)]/306.12
v2 = 17.909 m/s

However, when I go and calculate the difference I get... well, something that is not the answer!
Δv = vf - vi = 17.909 - 16.8 = 1.109 m/s.

What did I do wrong? Did I not understand what the question was asking of me?
Thank you for taking the time to read and review my question.

You are on the right track but the red part is not quite correct. Remember that once the man starts moving, the flatcar is no longer going at 16.8 m/s. How does that change your equation?

1. How is the change in velocity of the flatcar calculated?

The change in velocity of the flatcar is calculated using the formula Δv = vf - vi, where Δv is the change in velocity, vf is the final velocity of the flatcar, and vi is the initial velocity of the flatcar.

2. What is the role of the man running in the opposite direction?

The man running in the opposite direction creates an external force on the flatcar, causing it to experience a change in velocity. This is due to Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

3. How does the mass of the man affect the change in velocity of the flatcar?

The mass of the man does not directly affect the change in velocity of the flatcar. However, it does affect the amount of force he can exert on the flatcar, which in turn affects the change in velocity.

4. Can the change in velocity of the flatcar be negative?

Yes, the change in velocity of the flatcar can be negative if the man running in the opposite direction slows down or stops, causing the flatcar to decelerate.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the change in velocity of the flatcar?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the change in velocity of the flatcar, such as the friction between the wheels of the flatcar and the track, the mass and velocity of the flatcar itself, and any other external forces acting on the flatcar.