Calculate Conduction Power Loss

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for calculating power loss in a circuit involving a diode and an IGBT. One method uses the formula I2R, while the other uses V2/R. The conversation also mentions considering the VI curve for the diode to account for changes in potential drop with increasing current. Ultimately, both methods yield the same result of 170 W for power loss.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

upload_2016-9-26_19-34-49.png

Homework Equations

power loss = I2R
power loss = V2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

voltage across diode is 0.7V, current is 100A. resistance = 0.01 ohm.
Power loss is I2R - 100 * 100 * 0.01
= 100 W
Power loss across IGBT = V2/R. V across IGBT = V across Diode = 0.7.
R for IGBT = 0.02 ohm
So loss is 0.7 * 0.7 / 0.02 = 24.5W
Total loss is 100 + 24.5 is 124.5 W

But they've done something like:
No current through IGBT
Conduction loss = VtIav + Irms2Ron
= 0.7 * 100 + 1002 * 0.01 = 170W.

Why did they do V * T + I2R? Shouldnt they do either one? and I'm not sure which one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the VI curve for the diode. As the current increases the potential drop across the diode junction will increase beyond 0.7 V. So the effective resistance of the diode rises and the power loss increases, too.

See if you can't write an expression for the junction potential drop versus current.

Likes jaus tail
Oh yeah... (v2-v1)/(i1-i1) = .01

So (v2 - 0.7 / (100 - 0) = .01
This gives V2 as 1.7 V.
So power loss is V * I = 1.7 * 100 is 170 W.
Well we get same answer. I guess the way the book has gone about solution is confusing.

Good.

They chose to treat the diode as two components in series. The first being the fixed potential drop 0.7V and the second a resistance. They summed the power associated with each.

Likes jaus tail

What is conduction power loss?

Conduction power loss refers to the transfer of heat through a material due to a temperature difference between two points.

How is conduction power loss calculated?

Conduction power loss is calculated using the equation Q = kA(T1 - T2)/d, where Q is the heat transfer rate, k is the thermal conductivity of the material, A is the cross-sectional area, T1 and T2 are the temperatures at each end of the material, and d is the thickness of the material.

What factors affect conduction power loss?

The amount of heat transferred through conduction is affected by the thermal conductivity of the material, the temperature difference between the two points, and the thickness and cross-sectional area of the material.

What are some applications of calculating conduction power loss?

Conduction power loss calculations are important in fields such as thermodynamics, engineering, and materials science. They are used to design and optimize insulation materials, heat exchangers, and other systems involving heat transfer.

How can conduction power loss be reduced?

Conduction power loss can be reduced by using materials with low thermal conductivity, increasing the thickness of the material, or decreasing the temperature difference between the two points. Insulation materials are also commonly used to reduce conduction power loss.