Calculate covariance matrix of two given numbers of events

In summary, the conversation is about the calculation of a covariance matrix for two variables, N1 and N2, on page 18 of a paper. The variables are distributed on a range of y values and are defined using two functions. The conversation also includes the author's attempts to calculate the covariance matrix and their eventual success in finding the correct solution, which involved using an expression involving the partial derivatives of the variables and their respective errors. The author also requests recommendations for further reading on the topic.
Brais
Hi, I am trying to follow this paper: (arXiv link).
On page 18, Appendix A.1, the authors calculate a covariance matrix for two variables in a way I cannot understand.

Homework Statement

Variables [itex]N_1[\itex]
and [itex]N_2[\itex], distributed on
[itex]y \in [0, 1][\itex] as follows:
[itex]f_1(y<y_0) = 0; f_1(y>= y_0) = \frac{1}{1-y_0}[/itex]
[itex]f_2 = 1[\itex]
Define: [itex]N_{<} = [\itex]amount of events falling below [itex]y_0[\itex], [itex]N_{>}[\itex] analogously...

Homework Equations

Then, we can calculate:
[itex]N_2 = \frac{1}{y_0}N_{<}[\itex]
[itex]N_1 = -\frac{1-y_0}{y_0}N_{<} + N_{>}[\itex]
Covariance of two variables: [itex]Cov(a,b) = <(a·b)^2> - <a·b>^2[\itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

After calculating the two previous results myself (N1 and N2), I tried to calculate the covariance matrix V (please see pdf). I tried to do it from the definition of covariance, but I didn't get anywhere (or to different results). So I decided to guess if the authors were doing the usual error propagation from [itex]N_1, N_2[\itex] as a function of [itex]N_{<}, N_{>}[\itex].
Considering the usual in physics for N large, [itex]\sigma(N_k) = \sqrt(N_k), k \in {<, >}[\itex], and then, for instance [itex]\sigma^2(N_2) =\sum_k \frac{\partial N_2}{\partial N_k} \sigma(N_k) = \frac{1}{y_0 ^2} N_{>}[\itex] (the right result).
However, I cannot extend this to the off-diagonal terms.

Could somebody please help me? Thanks!

EDIT: I cannot see the latex expressions, and instead I see all my itex \itex ! How can I solve this? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Right...
after some trial and error, I got to an expression for the right solution of the covariance matrix:

Given the (2x2) covariance matrix V, and the variables:

N1 = a1/c
N2 = -(1-c)a1/c + a2

I calculated V(m,n) = sum(i = 1 to 2) (dNm/da_i)(dNn/da_i) Error^2(Ni),
where Error^2(Ni) = Ni, and m, n are either 1 or 2.

This works and I get the right solution. Also, the expression makes sense... However, I couldn't find this in a book on statistics. Could somebody point me in a good direction? Do you know of any book/page were I can see the proof of this?

Thank you! And sorry for the wrong latex formulae in the previous post, but I don't know how to fix it. I counted the number of itex \itex and it is right :S

1. What is a covariance matrix?

A covariance matrix is a mathematical tool used to represent the relationship between two variables. It contains information about the variance and covariance of these variables, which can help to understand how they are related.

2. How do you calculate a covariance matrix?

To calculate a covariance matrix of two given numbers of events, you first need to organize the data into a matrix form. Then, you can use a specific formula to calculate the covariance between the two variables. This involves taking the difference between each pair of data points and multiplying them together, then dividing by the total number of data points.

3. What does a positive covariance indicate?

A positive covariance indicates that the two variables are positively related, meaning that they tend to increase or decrease together. This means that as one variable increases, the other tends to increase as well, and vice versa.

4. What does a negative covariance indicate?

A negative covariance indicates that the two variables are negatively related, meaning that as one variable increases, the other tends to decrease. This means that there is an inverse relationship between the two variables.

5. What are some practical applications of calculating a covariance matrix?

Covariance matrices have various applications in fields such as statistics, economics, and finance. They can be used to analyze the relationship between two variables, assess risk and return in investment portfolios, and identify patterns or trends in data. They are also commonly used in machine learning and data analysis to understand the relationships between different features in a dataset.