Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate double integral of the intersection of the ellipse and circle

1. Jan 1, 2013 #1
    how to calculate the double integral of f(x,y) within the intersected area?

f(x,y)=a0+a1y+a2x+a3xy

The area is the intersection of an ellipse and a circle.

attachment.php?attachmentid=54378&stc=1&d=1357046899.jpg

Any help will be appreciated, I don't know how to do this.

can I use x=racosθ,y=rbsinθ to transformer the ellipse and circle?
    If I can, what's the equation for the circle?
    what's the range for r while calculating.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      12.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, it's your circle! I don't see how anyone else can tell you what its equation is. The equation of a circle with center at [itex](x_0, y_0)[/itex] and radius r is, of course, [itex](x- x_0)^2+ (y- y_0)^2= r^2[/itex]. How to integrate depends on exactly how the two figures overlap. [itex]x= r cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= r sin(\theta)[/itex] assumes that r is measured from (0, 0). That might be useful if you were to "translate" your system so that the center of the circle is at the origin.

4. Jan 1, 2013 #3
    Yes, I forgot this, the center of the circle and the ellipse, the radius, the a and b are all known. That means I can calculate the intersection points.

If you chose the circle center as the origin, what's the equation for the ellipse?

5. Jan 1, 2013 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From the picture and your previous remark, I suggest the following.

Get the x values of the intersection points - outer integral in x.

Use the y = for the ellipse as the lower and the y = for the circle as the upper limit - inner integral in y.
    Since y is defined as a square root for both figures, make sure you pick the correct sign.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  6. Jan 1, 2013 #5
    In this case, I have to separate the area, any chance I can use polar coordinate?

7. Jan 2, 2013 #6

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the need to separate? It seems to me polar coordinates make it more complicated.

I also realized later, the y integral is trivial, since the integrand is 1. All you need to do is write the x integrand as the difference between the equation for y of the circle piece minus the equation for the ellipse piece.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook