1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate integral using Gauss theorem

1. Nov 29, 2013 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data.

Let
    ##D =\left\{\left(x,y\right)\ \in\ {\mathbb R}^{2}: x^{2} + y^{2} \leq 1\right\}## and let ##{\rm f}:D \to {\mathbb R}## defined as
    ##{\rm f}\left(x,y\right)
    = \left(1 - x^{2} -y^{2}\right)\exp\left(x^{4}y^{10}\right)##.
    Consider the surface ##S## given by the graph of ##{\rm f}## restricted to ##D##, oriented with the exterior normal vector. Let ##G## be the vector field
    ##G:{\mathbb R}^{3} \to {\mathbb R}^{3}## given by

##G(x,y,z) = \left(\,-y,\, x,\, x^{2} + y^{2}\,\right)\,,\qquad\mbox{Calculate}\ \int_{S} G\cdot dS##

The attempt at a solution.

I am having a hard time trying to visualize the surface ##S##.

One possibility is to use Gauss theorem, which says that if ##W## is an elementary symmetric region in space where ##\partial W## is a closed oriented surface and ##F## is a function of class ##C^1##, then

##\iiint_w (divF).dV=\iint_{\partial W} F.dS##.

I've calculated the divergence of ##G## and it gives ##0##. If I could find a region ##W## bounded by ##S##, then

##0=\iiint_w (divG).dV=\iint_{\partial W} G.dS=\int_S G.dS##

Another doubt that I have is: how do I know ##S## is a closed surface?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It isn't a closed surface. And as such, the "exterior" normal doesn't make sense. Perhaps you mean the upward directed normal. Your surface is defined on the domain ##D:~x^2+y^2\le 1##. As a hint, what does your ##f(x,y)## look like on the boundary of ##D##?

4. Nov 29, 2013 #3
    Yes, I've meant the upward directed normal, sorry, I am translating from spanish to english and sometimes I pick the wrong words. Hmm, ##f(x,y)=0## on the boundary of ##D##, and this tells me...? (I need a little more push).

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  5. Nov 29, 2013 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It tells you that your open surface and your domain ##D## share the same boundary. So if you add the domain ##D## to your picture, you would have a closed surface. And that buys you ...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted