Calculate integral using Gauss theorem

In summary: It tells you that your open surface and your domain ##D## share the same boundary. So if you add the domain ##D## to your picture, you would have a closed surface. And that buys you ... nothing!
mahler1
Homework Statement .

Let
##D =\left\{\left(x,y\right)\ \in\ {\mathbb R}^{2}: x^{2} + y^{2} \leq 1\right\}## and let ##{\rm f}:D \to {\mathbb R}## defined as
##{\rm f}\left(x,y\right)
= \left(1 - x^{2} -y^{2}\right)\exp\left(x^{4}y^{10}\right)##.
Consider the surface ##S## given by the graph of ##{\rm f}## restricted to ##D##, oriented with the exterior normal vector. Let ##G## be the vector field
##G:{\mathbb R}^{3} \to {\mathbb R}^{3}## given by

##G(x,y,z) = \left(\,-y,\, x,\, x^{2} + y^{2}\,\right)\,,\qquad\mbox{Calculate}\ \int_{S} G\cdot dS##

The attempt at a solution.

I am having a hard time trying to visualize the surface ##S##.

One possibility is to use Gauss theorem, which says that if ##W## is an elementary symmetric region in space where ##\partial W## is a closed oriented surface and ##F## is a function of class ##C^1##, then

##\iiint_w (divF).dV=\iint_{\partial W} F.dS##.

I've calculated the divergence of ##G## and it gives ##0##. If I could find a region ##W## bounded by ##S##, then

##0=\iiint_w (divG).dV=\iint_{\partial W} G.dS=\int_S G.dS##

Another doubt that I have is: how do I know ##S## is a closed surface?

Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

Let
##D =\left\{\left(x,y\right)\ \in\ {\mathbb R}^{2}: x^{2} + y^{2} \leq 1\right\}## and let ##{\rm f}:D \to {\mathbb R}## defined as
##{\rm f}\left(x,y\right)
= \left(1 - x^{2} -y^{2}\right)\exp\left(x^{4}y^{10}\right)##.
Consider the surface ##S## given by the graph of ##{\rm f}## restricted to ##D##, oriented with the exterior normal vector. Let ##G## be the vector field
##G:{\mathbb R}^{3} \to {\mathbb R}^{3}## given by

##G(x,y,z) = \left(\,-y,\, x,\, x^{2} + y^{2}\,\right)\,,\qquad\mbox{Calculate}\ \int_{S} G\cdot dS##.

The attempt at a solution.

I am having a hard time trying to visualize the surface ##S##.

One possibility is to use Gauss theorem, which says that if ##W## is an elementary symmetric region in space where ##\partial W## is a closed oriented surface and ##F## is a function of class ##C^1##, then

##\iiint_w (divF).dV=\iint_{\partial W} F.dS##.

I've calculated the divergence of ##G## and it gives ##0##. If I could find a region ##W## bounded by ##S##, then

##0=\iiint_w (divG).dV=\iint_{\partial W} G.dS=\int_S G.dS##

Another doubt that I have is: how do I know ##S## is a closed surface?

It isn't a closed surface. And as such, the "exterior" normal doesn't make sense. Perhaps you mean the upward directed normal. Your surface is defined on the domain ##D:~x^2+y^2\le 1##. As a hint, what does your ##f(x,y)## look like on the boundary of ##D##?

Likes 1 person
LCKurtz said:
It isn't a closed surface. And as such, the "exterior" normal doesn't make sense. Perhaps you mean the upward directed normal. Your surface is defined on the domain ##D:~x^2+y^2\le 1##. As a hint, what does your ##f(x,y)## look like on the boundary of ##D##?

Yes, I've meant the upward directed normal, sorry, I am translating from spanish to english and sometimes I pick the wrong words. Hmm, ##f(x,y)=0## on the boundary of ##D##, and this tells me...? (I need a little more push).

Last edited:
mahler1 said:
Yes, I've meant the upward directed normal, sorry, I am translating from spanish to english and sometimes I pick the wrong words. Hmm, ##f(x,y)=0## in the boundary of ##D##, and this tells me...? (I need a little more push).

It tells you that your open surface and your domain ##D## share the same boundary. So if you add the domain ##D## to your picture, you would have a closed surface. And that buys you ...

Likes 1 person

What is Gauss theorem?

Gauss theorem, also known as the divergence theorem, is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the surface integral of a vector field to the volume integral of its divergence.

How do I use Gauss theorem to calculate an integral?

To use Gauss theorem, you need to first calculate the divergence of the vector field. Then, you can use the theorem to convert the surface integral into a volume integral, which can be easier to evaluate.

What are the prerequisites for using Gauss theorem?

To use Gauss theorem, you should have a good understanding of vector calculus, including vector fields, divergence, and surface integrals. It may also be helpful to have some knowledge of multivariable calculus.

What are some common applications of Gauss theorem?

Gauss theorem has many practical applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating electric or magnetic flux through a closed surface, or determining the flow of a fluid through a solid object.

Can Gauss theorem be used for any type of integral?

No, Gauss theorem can only be used for certain types of integrals, specifically those that involve vector fields and their divergence. It cannot be used for integrals of functions of a single variable.