Calculate Isentropic Efficiency: Tips & Tricks

In summary: In that case, you would need to know the vapor pressure, temperature, and quality of the steam coming out of the turbine. Then you can use those values to find the enthalpy of vaporization and the enthalpy of liquidization.
y2j
Hi
can anyone help me about the following ?
if I have the experimental data of inlet and outlet of expander (temperature and pressure) working in ORC.
Now if I want to find the Isentropic efficiencie :
the Isentropic expansion can be found by (entropy in = entropy out)
but how to find the actual enthalpy at expander exit of actual expansion
(i.e. I can consider it in the mixture or superheated phase?)
thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
entropy in = entropy out gives you an enthalpy. Enthalpy difference * efficiency gives you a new enthalpy. Pressure and enthalpy give you a temperature (or a composition at saturation).

See e.g. here ( I Googled "isentropic efficiency turbine" and looked at the first image)

Likes y2j
thanks for reply
but i am not have the Isentropic Efficiency

I am only have pressure and temperature of experimental system and I would like to have the Isentropic Efficiency if the exit conditions locate in tow phase zone

Then you work backwards from the enthalpy observed...

Likes y2j
I don't understated you
BvU said:
Then you work backwards from the enthalpy observed...
what do you mean?
thanks again

Perhaps you should post your work so far.

You have enthalpy in ##H_{in}##

entropy in = entropy out gives you an enthalpy under isentropic conditions ##H_{isent}##

observed enthalpy ##H_{out}##

$$\eta_{isent} = {H_{in} - H_{out}\over H_{in} - H_{isent}}$$

Likes y2j and gracy

I am not have the Isentropic Efficiency
I am only have pressures and temperatures at inlet and outlet of the
turbine
how can obtain Isentropic Efficiency in this case

thanks for attention

Is it clear now ?

not yet

Writing the same text in red does not help me to understand where you have a problem. Can you post your work so far ?

Likes y2j
OK
I have an experimental data of inlet and outlet conditions of turbine (temperature and pressure ) working in a rankine cycle
when the exit condition from turbine in saturated phase
how I can find the actual enthalpy at exit (##H_{out}##)and that used to find the Isentropic Efficiency

No need to get desperate...
Enthalpies can be looked up in a steam table. Do you have that available in some form or other ?

Likes y2j
Enthalpies in the mixture zone given for vapor and liquid
in this case to find Enthalpy we must have another parameter is (quality x) or dryness fraction
and the later I have not

I agree. That makes it difficult to get the correct value of ##\eta##. All I can imagine is that you assume no water comes out of the tubine, only steam...

Related to Calculate Isentropic Efficiency: Tips & Tricks

1. What is isentropic efficiency?

Isentropic efficiency is a measure of how well a thermodynamic process can convert the energy of a fluid or gas into work without any loss. It is often used in the analysis of turbines, compressors, and other devices that involve the expansion or compression of fluids.

2. How is isentropic efficiency calculated?

Isentropic efficiency is calculated by dividing the actual work output of a process by the ideal work output of an isentropic process. The ideal work output is calculated using the inlet and outlet conditions of the fluid or gas, while the actual work output is obtained from experimental data or theoretical calculations.

3. Why is isentropic efficiency important?

Isentropic efficiency is important because it allows engineers to evaluate the performance of a process or device and make improvements. By comparing the actual and ideal work outputs, engineers can identify areas where energy is being lost and make adjustments to increase efficiency.

4. What are some tips for calculating isentropic efficiency?

Some tips for calculating isentropic efficiency include ensuring that the inlet and outlet conditions are accurately measured or calculated, using the correct equations and units, and considering any losses or inefficiencies in the system. It is also important to understand the specific properties and behavior of the fluid or gas being analyzed.

5. What are some common challenges when calculating isentropic efficiency?

One common challenge when calculating isentropic efficiency is obtaining accurate data for the inlet and outlet conditions. Small errors in these values can significantly affect the calculated efficiency. Another challenge is accounting for all possible losses and inefficiencies in the system, which may require additional data or assumptions. Additionally, understanding and applying the appropriate equations and units can also be a challenge for some.