Calculate limit value with several variables

In summary: Also:In summary, you are calculating the entropy and pressure of a lattice gas, but you are also supposed to calculate a limit. You first calculate the limits for the entropy and pressure, and then you replace the limits for the entropy and pressure with the limit for the whole thing.
GravityX
Homework Statement
Calculate the limit of ##P## when ##a_0 \rightarrow 0## and ##M,n \rightarrow \infty## with ##a=a_0n## and ##L=a_0*M##.
Relevant Equations
none
Hi,

I had to calculate the entropy in a task of a lattice gas and derive a formula for the pressure from it and got the following

$$P=\frac{k_b T}{a_0}\Bigl[ \ln(\frac{L}{a_0}-N(n-1)-\ln(\frac{L}{a_0}-nN) \Bigr]$$

But now I am supposed to calculate the following limit

$$\lim\limits_{a_0 \rightarrow \infty}{} \lim\limits_{M \rightarrow \infty}{} \lim\limits_{n \rightarrow \infty}{\frac{k_b T}{a_0}\Bigl[ \ln(\frac{L}{a_0}-N(n-1)-\ln(\frac{L}{a_0}-nN) \Bigr]}$$

So not the limit for ##a_0## , ##M## and ##n## but all at the same time.

Should I first calculate the limit for one, say for ##a_0## and what I got for that, the limit for ##M## or better said ##L## etc?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the simultaneous limit exists, it doesn't matter what order you take the limits in. The eventual answer must be the same. Although some orders may be easier than others.

Where they exist, first calculate limits for components of the formula, and replace those components by their limits in the formula. That's generally valid as long as both the overall limit and the component's limit exist.

So for instance, ##\lim_{a_0\to\infty} \frac L{a_0}## is easy.
Another hint, for the expression in square brackets, use the fact that ##\log a - \log b = \log\left(\frac ab\right)## and then rewrite the fractional expression you're taking the log of as ##1 + \frac{1}{denominator}##. You'll find it easier to take limits that way.

By the way, there is no ##M## in your formulas. I presume you mean ##N##.

andrewkirk said:
By the way, there is no ##M## in your formulas. I presume you mean ##N##.
GravityX said:
##a=a_0n## and ##L=a_0*M##.
Messy. First I see ##a_0\downarrow 0##, then ##a_0\uparrow \infty##. Typos ?

BvU said:
Messy. First I see ##a_0\downarrow 0##, then ##a_0\uparrow \infty##. Typos ?
Also:
You have unbalanced parentheses.

What is the definition of a limit value with several variables?

A limit value with several variables is the value that a function approaches as the input variables approach a specific point or set of points. It represents the behavior of the function near those points.

How do you calculate a limit value with several variables?

To calculate a limit value with several variables, you must first determine the point or set of points that the variables are approaching. Then, you can use various techniques such as substitution, algebraic manipulation, or graphing to evaluate the limit. It is important to consider the behavior of the function near the point(s) of interest.

What are the common types of limits with several variables?

The common types of limits with several variables include limits at a point, limits at infinity, and limits along a path. Limits at a point involve approaching a specific point in the domain of the function, while limits at infinity involve approaching a point at an infinite distance. Limits along a path involve approaching a point along a specific path in the domain.

What are the key properties and rules for calculating limit values with several variables?

Some key properties and rules for calculating limit values with several variables include the sum, difference, product, and quotient rules, as well as the power and root rules. It is also important to consider the continuity of the function and the behavior of the function near the point(s) of interest.

How are limit values with several variables used in real-world applications?

Limit values with several variables are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They can help predict the behavior of a system or model and make accurate approximations. For example, limit values with several variables can be used to determine the maximum load a bridge can withstand or the optimal production level for a company.