Calculate max voltage of toggled inductor

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the maximum current and voltage in an inductor when a mosfet is turned on for a specific amount of time. The maximum current is calculated using the equation VL = L * di/dt, and the voltage peak is found by subtracting the mosfet voltage from the supply voltage. The circuit is more complicated due to parasitic elements and the finite switching speed of the mosfet. This circuit is commonly used in boost converters to increase voltage, but it is generally not desirable to create infinite voltage spikes.
Hybird
I have an inductor of 500uH that is attached to a 1volt source and the other side is connected to a mosfet RDSon = 0.012 ohm. If I turn on the mosfet for 5us and let current start to flow through the inductor I can calculate the max current reached assuming the current ramps up linearly. Then after 5us the mosfet is shut off ideally providing an open circuit and the inductor voltage ramps up to a high value. How can I calculate this high value of voltage?

To calculate the max current I used: VL = L * di/dt

Assume this is linear ramp so di/dt can be replaced by Delta I / Delta T where T is the time the switch is on for, and VL = 1 volt from source. So in my example this would be:

1 volt = 500uH * Imax / 5us => Imax = 10mA.

I ran this in LTSpice and it is indeed what I got, but I can't figure out how to calculate the voltage peak of the inductor which looks to be about 12 volts. I am trying to find this out for a high voltage source using a votlage ladder cause I need to minimize the switched voltage of the inductor to make sure it doesn't harm the IC.

Below is my spice model.

Attachments

• InductorSwitch.png
    InductorSwitch.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 454
  • Graph.png
    Graph.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 417
Engineering news on Phys.org
The part you're missing is the voltage across the mosfet during the current ramp. Just using Kirchoff's Law, the inductor voltage = supply voltage - mosfet voltage.

This circuit is way more complicated than you think it is because of unavoidable parasitic elements that aren't shown in the basic schematic. If the switch (and everything else) was ideal, the inductor would generate an infinity short spike of infinitely high voltage to keep the current flowing until the ∫v dt across the inductor has caused the current to decrease to zero. In practice, there will be capacitance in the circuit which will cause the voltage to oscillate. Also, a real mosfet has a finite switching speed. Your simulator most likely includes these mosfet parameters, so the result will actually tell you more about the mosfet than the inductor.
To learn more you can google "inductor volt second balance", also "boost converter". This circuit is the primary side of a flyback converter, or a boost converter, both of which use this generated voltage. Usually the purpose is to increase the voltage from the source value.
In practice you will nearly always see an alternate path (usually through a diode) for the inductor current to flow. It's usually undesirable to try to make infinite voltage spikes. A good rule of thumb in circuit design: Don't try to change the current through an inductor instantly, and don't try to change the voltage on a capacitor instantly.

1. What is an inductor and how does it work?

An inductor is an electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire that creates a magnetic field when an electric current flows through it. The inductor resists changes in current flow, which makes it useful in circuits for controlling the flow of electricity.

2. How is the maximum voltage of a toggled inductor calculated?

The maximum voltage of a toggled inductor is calculated using the formula Vmax = L(di/dt), where Vmax is the maximum voltage, L is the inductance of the inductor, and di/dt is the rate of change of current. This formula is derived from the inductor's basic property of resisting changes in current flow.

3. What factors affect the maximum voltage of a toggled inductor?

The maximum voltage of a toggled inductor is affected by several factors, including the inductance of the inductor, the rate of change of current, and the type of core material used. Other factors such as the resistance of the circuit and the frequency of the current also play a role in determining the maximum voltage.

4. How can the maximum voltage of a toggled inductor be controlled?

The maximum voltage of a toggled inductor can be controlled by adjusting the inductance, which can be achieved by changing the number of turns in the coil or by using a different core material. Additionally, using a circuit with a lower resistance or lower frequency can also help to control the maximum voltage.

5. What is the importance of calculating the maximum voltage of a toggled inductor?

Calculating the maximum voltage of a toggled inductor is important for designing and optimizing circuits. It helps to ensure that the inductor can handle the maximum voltage and prevents it from being damaged. Additionally, understanding the maximum voltage can also help to improve the efficiency and stability of the circuit.