Calculate Radius of Earth Using Time to Set Sun: Homework Solution

In summary, the Sun sets, fully disappearing over the horizon as you lie on the beach, your eyes 30 cm above the sand. You immediately jump up, your eyes now 170 cm above the sand, and you can again see the top of the Sun. If you count the number of seconds ( t) until the Sun fully disappears again, you can estimate the radius of the Earth. Use the known radius of the Earth to calculate the time t.
rwx1606

Homework Statement

The Sun sets, fully disappearing over the horizon as you lie on the beach, your eyes 30 cm above the sand. You immediately jump up, your eyes now 170 cm above the sand, and you can again see the top of the Sun. If you count the number of seconds ( = t) until the Sun fully disappears again, you can estimate the radius of the Earth. Use the known radius of the Earth to calculate the time t.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I set up a ratio. change in angle theta/360 = t / 86400 seconds in a day. I solved for the change in the angle theta by using inverse cos (radius of earth/ radius of Earth + H, where H is the difference in between standing up and laying down 1.7m-3m). Solving this, I got an angle of .037956 deg. Then the ratio .037956/360 = t/86400, I found t to be 9.1 seconds. This is an incorrect answer, and I was hoping someone point out something I'm missing. I know that when I'm laying down, my view is tangent to the surface of the earth. Advice/diagrams would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
no one?

rwx1606 said:
no one?

What is your distance to the horizon?

Can you use the approximation that 1.4 m / Distance to Horizon will be the Sine of the angle that your eye makes with the horizon in radians?

Then won't that ratio to circumference correspond with the time measured ratio to a revolution?

Depending on the latitude you may have a further correction to make, so I would want to say you are on a beach in the equatorial tropics and not on some sunny shore on the North Sea.

Last edited:
The change in angle will be the difference in horizon distances divided by the radius of the Earth. Thats easier because you can use small angle approx. for tan. The way you've done it is possible but you have to take the inverse cosine of each ratio separately and then subtract.

The equation of angle theta/360 = t / 86400 should be angle theta/360(degree) = t / 86400, so the answer should be 5.8s. It is lucky that your question has the same number as mine in the masteringphysics, so I'm pretty sure that 5.8s is the answer.

Yawen said:
The equation of angle theta/360 = t / 86400 should be angle theta/360(degree) = t / 86400, so the answer should be 5.8s. It is lucky that your question has the same number as mine in the masteringphysics, so I'm pretty sure that 5.8s is the answer.

Wait what?

I'm having the exact same issues at the thread starter. I got angle .03795 degrees, which gives me an answer of 9.1 seconds. But it's 5.8 s.

Can you explain how you got 5.8?

1. How is the radius of Earth calculated using the time to set sun?

The radius of Earth can be calculated using the time to set sun by using the formula: R = (t^2 * g) / (4π^2), where R is the radius of Earth, t is the time taken for the sun to set, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the significance of using the time to set sun to calculate the radius of Earth?

The time to set sun is directly related to the radius of Earth and can be used to calculate it because it is a measure of the Earth's rotation and the distance traveled by the sun during that rotation. This method allows for a more accurate measurement of the Earth's radius compared to other methods.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the calculated radius of Earth?

The accuracy of the calculated radius of Earth can be affected by factors such as the accuracy of the time measurement, variations in the Earth's rotation, and the effects of atmospheric refraction. It can also be affected by the location and elevation of the observation point.

4. How does the calculated radius of Earth using the time to set sun compare to other methods?

The calculated radius of Earth using the time to set sun is generally more accurate compared to other methods, such as using the distance between two points on the Earth's surface or measuring the Earth's circumference. This is because the time to set sun method takes into account the Earth's rotation and the distance traveled by the sun during that rotation.

5. Can this method be used to calculate the radius of other planets?

Yes, this method can be used to calculate the radius of other planets with a similar rotation and gravitational force. However, adjustments may need to be made to the formula depending on the specific characteristics of the planet being measured.