Calculate RMS Voltage for 120V, 60Hz Transformer

In summary, the problem involves a transformer with 90 turns on the primary and 2250 turns on the secondary, connected to a 120V, 60Hz source. The goal is to calculate the rms voltage and peak voltage on the secondary. Using the equation Vs = (120)(2250)/(90), the secondary rms voltage is found to be 3000V. To calculate the peak voltage, the relation between peak and rms amplitudes for a sinusoidal waveform is needed. The frequency value is unimportant in this calculation.
debwaldy

Homework Statement

Hi, so I am just starting an rms voltage question but I'm a small bit confused.
The problem states: A transformer having 90 turns on the primary and 2250 turns on the secondary is connected to a 120V, 60Hz source. Calculate a) the rms voltage and b) the peak voltage at the secondary.

Homework Equations

Vrms = Vm/2^0.5

Ns/Np = Vs/Vp

The Attempt at a Solution

So far i have said:
Vs = (120)(2250)/(90) from the second equation above
=> Vs = 3000V

After this i was going to say that the rms voltage is Vs/2^0.5
however i have been given the answer and it says that the rms voltage is simply 3000V. I don't understand this and would appreciate any explanation anyone could offer?
I realize i also haven't used the 60Hz value,so i may be missing an equation??
Thanks for any help
debs

Physics news on Phys.org
Your Vs is the secondary rms voltage because it was calculated from an rms primary value. So far so good. The frequency is unimportant except to indicate that you are working with AC (alternating current), which means a sinusoidal waveform. To finish the problem and calculate the peak voltage, what do you know about the relation between peak and rms amplitudes for a sine wave?

Hi Debs,

To calculate the rms voltage for a transformer, you will need to use the following equation:

Vrms = Vp * (Ns/Np)

Where:
Vp = peak voltage at the primary side
Ns = number of turns on the secondary side
Np = number of turns on the primary side

In this case, Vp = 120V, Ns = 2250, and Np = 90. So, plugging in these values, we get:

Vrms = (120V) * (2250/90)
= 3000V

So, the given answer of 3000V is correct. The 60Hz value is not needed in this calculation as it is used to determine the frequency of the voltage, not the magnitude.

Hope this helps clarify the solution for you. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the formula for calculating RMS voltage in a transformer?

The formula for calculating RMS voltage in a transformer is VRMS = Vp/√2, where Vp is the peak voltage and √2 is the square root of 2.

2. How do I determine the peak voltage in a 120V, 60Hz transformer?

The peak voltage in a 120V, 60Hz transformer can be determined by multiplying the RMS voltage (120V) by √2, which gives a peak voltage of 169.7V.

3. What is the significance of the 60Hz frequency in the calculation?

The 60Hz frequency is the standard frequency used in North America for alternating current (AC) power. It is important in the calculation of RMS voltage because it determines the rate at which the voltage changes from positive to negative and back again.

4. Can the same formula be used for calculating RMS voltage in a different frequency transformer?

No, the formula for calculating RMS voltage in a transformer is specific to the frequency of the AC power source. For a different frequency transformer, a different formula would need to be used.

5. How accurate is the calculated RMS voltage compared to the actual RMS voltage in a transformer?

The calculated RMS voltage is generally very close to the actual RMS voltage in a transformer. However, there may be slight variations due to factors such as the quality of the transformer and external influences such as fluctuations in the power supply.