Calculate Rotator Drum Torque for In-Vessel Composting System

In summary, the conversation is about designing an in-vessel composting system and calculating the necessary torque and speed to spin it. Colin asks for help in determining the torque and speed, and another person named Colin shares a formula for calculating horsepower and torque for rotating objects. They also discover that they have several coincidences, such as living in the same state, attending the same school program, and having the same name.
compostguy
I am designing an in-vessel composting system - a 21 ft. long 4 ft. diameter steel tube that is mounted and spun on wheels by a hydraulic pump/turbine assembly, coupled to a 60:1 gear reduction box - the hydraulic pump will likely be powered by a small 4-5 HP gas powered motor.

My question relates to calculating the necessary torque to spin this vessel, and how to determine how much speed is altered. The vessel weighs probably 2000-3000 lbs. and will hold probably up to 2000 lbs. of compost.
How can I calculate the necessary torque to spin this? I suspect it has something to do with the circumfrence, the radius from the axis of rotation, etc., but don't really know how it all fits together.

Thanks!
-Colin

Engineering news on Phys.org
Horsepower for rotating objects:

HP = (TxN)/(5250)

where

HP = Horsepower
T = Torque (lb-ft)
N = Motor Base Speed (RPM)
----------------------------------
Torque for rotating objects:

T = (HPx5250)/N

where

T = Torque (lb-ft)
HP = Horsepower
N = Motor Base Speed (RPM)
---------------------------------- Someone please let me know if I am wrong
That is what i remember from class, its a little ironic how my teacher JUST went over that with me after class, and now u ask... P.S. another ironic thing.. my name is colin too... and ur the first colin I've found to spell it the same too... just some irony for you :biggrin:

did that help?

thanks!

Thanks for the tip Colin - I don't know what the rpm and torque output will be for the hydraulic assembly but am still looking around for answers, would be nice to be able to predict that...

Weird coincidence - I went to high school in VA and did the IB program at George Mason HS in Falls Church - pretty funny! And now I'm still struggling with these little physics details!

Are you serious?? that is so weird! that's not far from where i live actually. only about a 3 hour drive at most!

we lived in the same state(within 3 hours of one another).. went to the same school program.. have the same name... Are both interested in MAth and Science(and are rather good at it)... and both joined these formums the same day.. What a coincidence ! Is it just me or is that REALLY ironic?!

Last edited:

Related to Calculate Rotator Drum Torque for In-Vessel Composting System

1. What is a Rotator Drum Torque in an In-Vessel Composting System?

A Rotator Drum Torque is the amount of force required to rotate the drum in an In-Vessel Composting System. It is an important measurement for determining the efficiency and effectiveness of the composting process.

2. How is Rotator Drum Torque calculated?

Rotator Drum Torque is calculated by multiplying the force required to rotate the drum by the distance between the drum's axis of rotation and the point where the force is applied. This calculation is typically done using a dynamometer or other torque measuring device.

3. Why is it important to calculate Rotator Drum Torque in an In-Vessel Composting System?

Calculating Rotator Drum Torque is important because it provides valuable information about the performance of the composting process. It can help determine if the system is operating efficiently and if any adjustments need to be made to improve the process.

4. What factors can affect Rotator Drum Torque in an In-Vessel Composting System?

Several factors can affect Rotator Drum Torque, including the amount and type of material being composted, the moisture content of the material, and the design and size of the composting system. External factors such as temperature and humidity can also impact the torque required to rotate the drum.

5. How can Rotator Drum Torque be optimized in an In-Vessel Composting System?

To optimize Rotator Drum Torque, it is important to closely monitor the composting process and make adjustments as needed. This may include adjusting the moisture content of the material, mixing the compost more frequently, or adjusting the drum's rotation speed. Proper maintenance of the composting system and regular inspections can also help ensure optimal torque and efficiency.