Calculate the Distance of lightning

• Thread starter Crookedsky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lightning
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to determine a number N that, when divided into the number of seconds between a flash and thunder, will result in the distance in miles. The speed of sound in air is given as 343 m/s and the question is asked if it should be converted to feet and then to miles. It is then mentioned that D is in miles, t is in seconds, and N should be in units that result in miles when divided into seconds.
Crookedsky
Hello all,
Determine a number N so that if the number of seconds (t) between flash and thunder is divided by N, the result is the distance (d) in miles. Be sure to specify the units of N. The speed of sound in air is 343 m/s. Assume the travel time of light is negligible. D = t/N

So would i convert 343 m/s to feet and then convert feet to miles? I am confused...

Physics news on Phys.org
think about it in terms of units

D is in miles, t is in seconds and N is in terms of...?

if you want miles = [itex]\frac{seconds}{N}[/itex], what should N be in units?

What is the formula for calculating the distance of lightning?

The formula for calculating the distance of lightning is Distance = Speed of Sound x Time Delay, where the Speed of Sound is approximately 343 meters per second at sea level.

How do I measure the time delay of lightning?

To measure the time delay of lightning, count the number of seconds between seeing the lightning flash and hearing the thunder. Divide this number by 3 to get the time delay in seconds.

Why is it important to calculate the distance of lightning?

Calculating the distance of lightning is important for safety purposes. By knowing the distance of lightning, you can estimate how far away the storm is and determine if it is safe to be outside.

What are some potential sources of error when calculating the distance of lightning?

Some potential sources of error when calculating the distance of lightning include inaccuracies in measuring the time delay, variations in the speed of sound due to altitude or temperature, and the possibility of multiple lightning strikes occurring at different distances.

Can I use the distance of lightning to predict when the storm will arrive?

No, the distance of lightning only tells you how far away the storm is, not when it will arrive. It is important to track the movement of the storm and monitor weather forecasts for more accurate predictions.