Distance between a person and a thunderstorm

• Thread starter MillieB
  • Start date
In summary, using the equations for speed, distance, and time, it can be determined that the distance between Jordan and the thunderstorm is approximately 74,999,915 meters. This calculation does not take into account the almost instantaneous travel time of light.
MillieB

Homework Statement

During a thunderstorm you see lightning before you hear thunder.

Light travels at 300 000 000 m/s in air, you can see lightning almost instantly.

Sound travels at 340 m/s

Jordan hears the sound of thunder 4 seconds after she sees the lightening.

Use the equation that links speed, distance and time to calculate the distance between Jordan and the thunderstorm. Show your working.

Homework Equations

Speed = Distance / Time

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Using the equation D = 4s / 340 m/s (Sound) = 85 m/s

2. Using the equation D = 4s / 300 000 000 m/s (Light speed) = 75 000 000 m/s

3. Therefore using the equations and answers already worked out;

75 000 000 m/s/ - 85 m/s = 74 999 915 m/s

Is this correct? I'm tearing my hair out trying to figure it out. Thanks for any help in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Millie, :welcome:

MillieB said:
Speed = Distance / Time
Is good.
MillieB said:
the equation D = 4s / 340 m/s (Sound) = 85 m/s
Is not good. You can check with the dimensions: [second/(m/s)] = [second2/m] which is quite different from [m] ! (Distance, which is what you want)
Speed = Distance / Time so if you multiply by Time on both sides: Speed * Time = Distance !

The above is valid if you can ignore the time needed by the light signal to reach Jordan. And you can check afterwards that that is OK.

If you don't want to ignore that (or aren't allowed to do so), the math becomes a bit more complicated.

Likes MillieB
Wow thank you SO much for your quick response and taking the time to help me answer.

I think I get what you mean. Using your guidance:

1. Speed = 4s x 340 m/s = 1360 m/s
2. Speed = 4s x 300 000 000 = 1 200 000 000 m/s
3. 1360 m/s + 1 200 000 000 m/s = 1 200001 360 m/s

Is that correct or have I misinterpreted your advice?

MillieB said:
Wow thank you SO much for your quick response and taking the time to help me answer.

As @BvU pointed out, dimensional (and unit) analysis is a powerful tool. You have [Time] x [Length / Time] so your answer is [Length], notr [Length / Time]. So what should be the units on 1360 now? Put the units back in for the others. What can you determine about what light does in a 4 second timeframe?

MillieB said:

2. Speed = 4s x 300 000 000 = 1 200 000 000 m/s
3. 1360 m/s + 1 200 000 000 m/s = 1 200001 360 m/s

You are missing something fundamental in working with equations - which is also known as algebra.

If you have speed = distance/time, then:

distance = speed x time

time = distance /speed

Also, although you are given the speed of light, you are also told that light travels almost instantaneously over short distances. This means that you do not need to calculate the travel time of light in this question.

For a RADAR set, the speed of light calculations is important in determining distance, but in comparison with using the speed of sound, it becomes negligible, as others have indicated. For example, it takes less than 5 microseconds for the light from the lightning flash to reach you (for these distances). By not worrying about how long the light takes to get to you, your calculations will be off by only about 2 millimeters.

Likes PeroK
:smile: Thank you to all that contributed. You're ALL superstars :star::star::star::star::star:

What is the distance between a person and a thunderstorm?

The distance between a person and a thunderstorm can vary greatly depending on the size and intensity of the storm. On average, a person can be considered safe from lightning strikes if they are at least 6 miles away from the storm.

How can I measure the distance between myself and a thunderstorm?

One way to measure the distance between yourself and a thunderstorm is by using the "flash-to-bang" method. Count the number of seconds between seeing a lightning flash and hearing the thunder. Divide this number by 5 to get the distance in miles.

Why is it important to know the distance between a person and a thunderstorm?

Knowing the distance between a person and a thunderstorm is important for safety reasons. Lightning can strike up to 10 miles away from a storm, so being aware of the distance can help you determine if you are at risk of being struck.

What factors can affect the distance between a person and a thunderstorm?

The distance between a person and a thunderstorm can be affected by various factors such as the size and intensity of the storm, wind direction, and terrain. For example, if the storm is moving towards you and you are in an open area, the distance between you and the storm will decrease.

Is there a safe distance to be from a thunderstorm?

While there is no guaranteed safe distance from a thunderstorm, it is generally recommended to stay at least 6 miles away from the storm. If you can hear thunder, you are within striking distance and should seek shelter immediately.