Calculate the Expected value, Variance, density and 2nd moment

In summary: Then, using the definition of variance, you can represent E[D^2] in terms of the variance and the expected value of D. This will give you a way to express E[D^2] in terms of the variance, as the question asks.
alfred2
I have to solve this exercise. Here are also my solutions but I don't know if they're correct.

Let Ω ⊆ R ^ 2 a finite set of points in R ^ 2. Notation v_i = (x_i, y_i). Pr [] is a probability measure on either Ω.
Random variables X, Y: Ω-> R project a point on the coordinate. For example Y(v_i) = y_i, X (v_i) = x_i.
a) Let n=4 for v_1=(-1,2), v_2 = (3,2), v_3 = (-1, -2), V_4 = (1, -5)and Pr [v_1] = 1 / 3 Pr [v_2] = 1/6, Pr [v_3] = 3/8 and Pr [V_4] = 1/8
i) Determine the density of X, Y and calculate E [X], E [Y]. Density fX: is a function that tells me the probability of a random variable
fX: R -> [0, 1] <=> x -> fX (x): = Pr [X = x], where X is a random variable
Solution:
X (v_1) = -1
X (v_2) = 3
X (v_3) = -1
X (V_4) = 1
Then all possible values ​​of the random variable X are -1,3 and 1 therefore their densities are:
P (X = -1) = P (v_1) + P (v_3) = 17/24
P (X = 3) = P (v_2) = 1/6
P (X = 1) = P (V_4) = 1/8
The same applies to Y
Y (v_1) = 2
Y (v_2) = 2
Y (v_3) = -2
Y (V_4) = -5
Then all possible values ​​of the random variable Y are 2, -2 and -5 therefore their densities would be:
P (Y = 2) = P (v_1) + P (v_2) = 3/6
P (Y = -2) = P (v_3) = 3/8
P (Y = -5) = P (V_4) = 1/8
Then to calculate E [X], E [Y] I just have to apply the formula: Σx * P (X = x) for all possible x of our random variable

ii) Let p = (2, -2) and D the random variable resulting Euclidean distance between a point p, calculate the density D and E [D ^ 2]. Euclidean distance d (v, w) = sqrt ((v_x-W_X) ^ 2 + (v_y-w_y) ^ 2)
Solution:
We calculate the Euclidean distance d (v, w) = sqrt ((v_x-w_x) ^ 2 + (v_y-w_y) ^ 2)
Substituting:
d (v_1, p) = 5
d (v_2, p) = sqrt (17)
d (v_3, p) = 3
d (V_4, p) = sqrt (10)
Then all possible values ​​of the random variable X is 5, sqrt (17), 3, and sqrt (10). But I don't know the probabilities of this random variable. Or they would be the same as the probabilities of v_i, i = 1,2,3,4? To calculate E [D ^ 2] I found this formula
Σx^2*P (X = x) for all possible x our random variableb) Let Ω ⊆ R ^ 2 a finite set, Pr [] a probability measure on Ω any p ^ 2 Dielectric figure any point. D (random variable) gives again the Euclidean distance between any point and p.

i) For which p is E [D ^ 2] Minimum?
Solution:
I'm still lost hereii) How can we represent E [D ^ 2] for this p through the variance.
Solution:
I found this formula and do not know if that's what you need to do: Var [X] = E [X ^ 2] - (E [X]) ^ 2 then E [X ^ 2] = Var [X] + (E [X]) ^ 2.

Someone can say me if I'm on the right track? Thank you =)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are on the right track. To answer part b), you need to use the formula for calculating the Euclidean distance between two points and substitute for the values of the random variable D. Then you need to calculate the expected value of D^2 and find the point p for which it is a minimum.
For part ii), you need to use the formula Var[X] = E[X^2] - (E[X])^2 to calculate the variance of the random variable D.

1. What is the expected value in statistics?

The expected value, also known as the mean, is a measure of the central tendency of a probability distribution. It is calculated by taking the sum of all possible outcomes multiplied by their respective probabilities.

2. How is variance calculated?

Variance is a measure of how spread out a set of data is. It is calculated by taking the squared differences between each data point and the mean, and then finding the average of those squared differences.

3. What is the density of a probability distribution?

Density refers to the relative frequency of a particular outcome occurring in a probability distribution. It is often represented as a curve on a graph, with the highest point of the curve representing the most likely outcome.

4. Why is the expected value important in probability and statistics?

The expected value is important because it allows us to make predictions about the most likely outcome in a probability distribution. It also serves as a useful tool for comparing different distributions and making decisions based on the expected outcomes.

5. How is the 2nd moment used in calculating the variance?

The 2nd moment, also known as the moment of inertia, is used in calculating the variance by providing a measure of how spread out the data is from the mean. It is an important component in the formula for variance and helps to provide a more accurate measure of variability in a data set.