1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the following double integral

1. Nov 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the double integral:

[tex]\iint\limits_D x^{5}y^{6}dxdy[/tex]
    where D = {(x,y): x9 ≤ y ≤ x1/9}

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I didn't think this problem would be too hard, but it seems I'm really not good with double integrals.

Anyway, I first tried to find the right interval. The curve y=x9 is below y=x1/9 in two intervals, first of all 0 ≤ x ≤ 1 and -∞ ≤ x ≤ -1. I was wondering about this for some time, but then I thought that I probably needed an enclosed D, so I discarded the second interval.

When x=0, y=0, and when x=1, y=1 in both curves.

[tex]\iint\limits_D x^{5}y^{6}dxdy = \int ^{1}_{0} x^5 dx \int ^{1}_{0} y^6 dy[/tex]

I tried that, because that was something they explained to us during the lecture and well.. it seemed to apply. And those two integrals are really very easy:

[tex]\int ^{1}_{0} x^5 dx \int ^{1}_{0} y^6 dy = \left[ \frac{1}{6} x^6 \right] ^{1}_{0} \left[ \frac{1}{7} y^7 \right]^{1}_{0} = ( \frac{1}{6})( \frac{1}{7}) = \frac{1}{42}[/tex]

And this is wrong.

Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The two curves intersect at (-1, -1), (0, 0), and (1, 1). When 0 <= x <= 1, x^(1/9) >= x^9, and when -1 <= x <= 0, x^9 >= x^(1/9). So that means you'll need to split your double integral into a pair of iterated integrals, one for each of the two intervals.
    Hope that helps.

4. Nov 19, 2009 #3
    You must integrate over y first because the limits of the y integral contain x values. After the y integral, you do the x integral. You should end up with an expression with only x's.

5. Nov 19, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Also, I don't think there's a justification for splitting up the iterated integrals as you did. Flatmaster's advice of integrating with respect to y first, and then with respect to x, is good.

6. Nov 19, 2009 #5
    Oh thank you! Talk about change in thinking.

And anyway, I didn't use that second interval, because it didn't fit with the area that I was given, since it stated that x^(1/9) needed to be >= x^9. It gave me the right answer, so I'm very happy now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook