Calculate the force exerted on the handle of a wheelbarrow

• Thread starter flin8812
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discussed the total weight of a wheelbarrow filled with gravel and held on an 18 degree incline, with other dimensions provided in a figure. The attempt at a solution involved calculating the total moment at static equilibrium, represented by the equation Mc=(\overline{CB})(F)-(rxFy)(ryFx). The next steps were to calculate the sums of x, y, and M, and to sketch the forces on the provided figure.
flin8812

Homework Statement

The total weight of a wheel barrow filled with gravel=240N
Wheelbarrow held on an 18 degree incline
Other dimensions are given as in the figure provided.

Homework Equations

Assuming that the wheelbarrow is at static equilibrium,

The Attempt at a Solution

my attempt of part(a) was to have the total moment=0
where F represents the uplifting force

Mc=([tex]\overline{CB}[/tex])(F)-(rxFy)(ryFx)

= [tex]\sqrt{1.01^2+0.8^2}[/tex](0.2*240cos15)+(0.58*240sin18)

=0
but I don't know what to do next...

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,553
Physics news on Phys.org
Try to calculate:
[tex]\sum x=0[/tex]
[tex]\sum y=0[/tex]
[tex]\sum M=0[/tex]
I sketched some forces on your picture. I would calculate moment around C.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 3,088

I would first clarify any missing information, such as the angle of the incline and the dimensions of the wheelbarrow and handle. Assuming the incline is 18 degrees, I would then proceed to calculate the force exerted on the handle using the equation F = mg sinθ, where m is the mass of the wheelbarrow (240N) and θ is the angle of the incline (18 degrees). This would give a force of approximately 68.37N.

However, this calculation only takes into account the force exerted on the handle due to the weight of the wheelbarrow and does not consider any additional forces, such as friction or the force exerted by the person pushing the wheelbarrow. To accurately calculate the total force exerted on the handle, these factors would need to be taken into account as well. Additionally, the dimensions of the wheelbarrow and handle could affect the distribution of weight and therefore the force exerted on the handle. Further analysis and measurements may be needed to accurately determine the force exerted on the handle in this scenario.

1. What is the formula for calculating the force exerted on the handle of a wheelbarrow?

The formula for calculating the force exerted on the handle of a wheelbarrow is F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the load in the wheelbarrow, and a is the acceleration of the wheelbarrow.

2. How do I determine the mass of the load in the wheelbarrow?

The mass of the load in the wheelbarrow can be determined by using a scale or by estimating the weight of the load. If using a scale, make sure to include the mass of the wheelbarrow itself in the calculation.

3. What is the acceleration of the wheelbarrow?

The acceleration of the wheelbarrow can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time it takes for the wheelbarrow to change its velocity. It can also be estimated by observing how quickly the wheelbarrow moves and how much effort is required to push or pull it.

4. How does the angle of the wheelbarrow's handle affect the force exerted on it?

The angle of the wheelbarrow's handle affects the force exerted on it by changing the direction of the force. The force exerted will be greater when the handle is at a steeper angle because it is more perpendicular to the ground, making it easier to lift the load.

5. What units are used to measure force?

The SI unit for force is the Newton (N), which is equivalent to 1 kg*m/s^2. Other common units for force include pounds (lb), kilograms (kg), and dynes (dyn).