1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the maximum height that m1 and m2 rise after collision?

1. Oct 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a frictionless track. Imagine point A to B is one quarter of a circle; point B to C is a horizontal flat plane; point C to D is also one quarter of a circle.

The block m1 is released from A. It makes a head-on elastic collision at B with m2 (that is initially at rest) Calculate the maximum height to which m1 and m2 rise after collision.

m1 = 2kg
    m2 = 10 kg
    radius of quarter circles = 4.9 m

2. Relevant equations
    p=mv

m1vf + m2vi = (m1 + m2)v

y=1/2 at^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am not quite sure how to attempt a solution.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Can you find out how fast m1 is going after it falls through the quarter of a circle A to B? Then you could do conservation of momentum on the collision at B.

4. Oct 25, 2009 #3
    I understand the equation for conservation of momentum, but how do I go about finding the velocity as you mentioned?

5. Oct 25, 2009 #4

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Draw the diagram. You should see how high above the BC horizontal section m1 is initially. From the initial height, you can calculate its speed after falling through the height either by using forces or energies.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook