Calculate the Period of a Planet.

In summary, Kepler's 3rd law states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit. This can be represented by the equation T^2/a^3 = k, where k is a constant that is the same for all planets in a system. This law applies as long as the planet's mass is much less than the mass of the star. However, this question assumes equal mass for both planets, which is not always the case in real systems.
destinee
Consider a planet with a period of orbit to be 0.241 years and an average radius of 0.39 astronomical units. Calculate the period of a planet with an average radius of 1.4 astronomical units.

If someone can answer and explain this question to me, I would be very thankful. I know it has something to do with Kepler's 3rd law (T²/R³), but I do not know how to apply it.The teacher counted my answer wrong. See my work below:

P1 = 0.241 years with a radius of 0.39 AU
P2 = ? years with a radius of 1.4 AU
So set 0.241 over 0.39 equal to X (? years) over 1.4

You get
0.3374=0.39x than divide
x = 0.865 year orbit

Physics news on Phys.org
0.865 years ISN'T correct, You have forgotten to square each part, use this:

Using Kepplers 3rd Law:

P12/P22 = R12/R22

However, this is a poor question, it assumes these planets will have the same density/mass which is pretty much never the case. may want to mention this to your teacher!

Kepler's 3rd law is a bit more than "T2/R3". For a planetary system with a big sun and relatively tiny planets, it is more like "T2/R3=k", where k is approximately the same for all tiny planets.

You used a simple proportion--that's what got you in trouble. Find k and try again using the big sun equation.

"The square of the orbital period of a planet is directly proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit."

So for one planet, [tex]T_1^2 \propto a_1^3[/tex] For another, [tex] T_2^2 \propto a_2^3[/tex] Thus [tex]\frac {T_1^2} {a_1^3} = \frac {T_2^2} {a_2^3}[/tex] Can you see how you could use this?

However, this is a poor question, it assumes these planets will have the same density/mass which is pretty much never the case.
No, the question is OK. The law works as long as the planet's mass is much less than the mass of the star, which is pretty much always the case.

voko said:
No, the question is OK. The law works as long as the planet's mass is much less than the mass of the star, which is pretty much always the case.

Really? Surely if one planet is extremely light and the other is heavy by comparison but still less than the sun then the force on the heavier planet and therefore it's orbital velocity would be much larger?

I'm not disagreeing, it's just this was the impression I was always under: that if there is a large difference in the relative mass of the two planets then the law can become skewed? Or is this just one of those assumptions we make because it pretty much never occurs? :S

Bowenwww said:
Really? Surely if one planet is extremely light and the other is heavy by comparison but still less than the sun then the force on the heavier planet and therefore it's orbital velocity would be much larger?

The coefficient of proportionality has, as a factor, [itex]\frac 1 {M + m}[/itex], where M is the mass of the star, and m of the planet. Typically [itex]M >> m[/itex], so that factor is almost exactly [itex]\frac 1 M[/itex] no matter what planet you choose. Take our Sun, Mercury and Jupiter, and see how this factor differs.

I'm not disagreeing, it's just this was the impression I was always under: that if there is a large difference in the relative mass of the two planets then the law can become skewed? Or is this just one of those assumptions we make because it pretty much never occurs? :S

As you can see from the above, of importance is the ratio planet to star, not planet to planet.

What is the formula for calculating the period of a planet?

The formula for calculating the period of a planet is T = 2π√(a^3/GM), where T is the period, a is the semi-major axis, G is the gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the central body.

What units should be used when calculating the period of a planet?

The units for calculating the period of a planet are typically years (yr) for T, astronomical units (AU) for a, and kilograms (kg) for M. However, other units can be used as long as they are consistent with each other.

What is the difference between sidereal and synodic period?

Sidereal period refers to the time it takes for a planet to complete one orbit around its central body relative to the fixed stars. Synodic period, on the other hand, refers to the time it takes for a planet to return to the same position relative to the Sun as seen from Earth. The synodic period is usually longer than the sidereal period due to Earth's own orbit around the Sun.

Why is the period of a planet important?

The period of a planet is important because it provides valuable information about its orbit, such as its distance from the central body and its mass. It also allows us to predict future positions of the planet and understand its relationship with other objects in the solar system.

Can the period of a planet change over time?

Yes, the period of a planet can change over time due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other objects, perturbations from other planets, and changes in the planet's orbit. However, these changes are usually very small and can be predicted and accounted for in calculations.