Calculate the rms speed of free electrons

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 9K views
Chele
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Hi and thanks for checking this out! :)

Homework Statement


The temperature and pressure in a star's atmosphere are 1.20E6 K and 0.0400 Pa. Calculate the rms speed of free electrons (mass = 9.11 10-31 kg) there.

Homework Equations



What am I doing wrong and why do they give the pressure if that's not needed in the formula!?

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm using this formula:

v=[tex]\sqrt{kT/m}[/tex]

k=1.380658E-23 J/K
T=1.2E6 K
m=9.11E-31 kg

Seems like a simple "plug and chug" type problem. My answer was 4.3E6 m/s. This is not the correct answer.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Chele said:
I'm using this formula:

v=[tex]\sqrt{kT/m}[/tex]
That formula is incorrect. The average KE equals (3/2)kT (you must include all three translational degrees of freedom).