Calculate the Support Reactions at A and B as a Result of the Force

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
Northbysouth
Messages
241
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


The load per foot of beam length varies as shown. For x = 17 ft, the unit load is 373 lb/ft. At x = 0, the load is increasing at the rate of 41 lb/ft per foot. Calculate the support reactions at A and B. The reactions are positive if upward, negative if downward.

I have attached an image of the question.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I know that I need to integrate the function, w = k1x - k2x2 but I'm not sure how to find the variable k1 and k2. Plugging in the information that when x = 17, w = 373 I get

373 = 17k1 - 289k2

But I'm not sure how to proceed from here. I realize that it also says that when x = 0 the load is increasing at a rate of 41 lb/ft but I'm not certain how I should interpret this.

Help would be appreciated. Thank you
 
Attachments
  • Statics hwk 19 5.118.png
    Statics hwk 19 5.118.png
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,665
Physics news on Phys.org
From the equation, when x=0, w=0. And you are given the slope at (0,0). So you have 2 points and a slope at one of those points. I think that is sufficient to find the constants k1 and k2.
 
Last edited:
Oh, I've got it now. I just take the derivative of the function, then I can solve for k1 and k2.

Thank you.