1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate the Support Reactions at A and B as a Result of the Force

1. Nov 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The load per foot of beam length varies as shown. For x = 17 ft, the unit load is 373 lb/ft. At x = 0, the load is increasing at the rate of 41 lb/ft per foot. Calculate the support reactions at A and B. The reactions are positive if upward, negative if downward.

I have attached an image of the question.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that I need to integrate the function, w = k1x - k2x2 but I'm not sure how to find the variable k1 and k2. Plugging in the information that when x = 17, w = 373 I get

373 = 17k1 - 289k2

But I'm not sure how to proceed from here. I realize that it also says that when x = 0 the load is increasing at a rate of 41 lb/ft but I'm not certain how I should interpret this.

Help would be appreciated. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2012 #2

lewando

Gold Member

From the equation, when x=0, w=0. And you are given the slope at (0,0). So you have 2 points and a slope at one of those points. I think that is sufficient to find the constants k1 and k2.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  4. Nov 10, 2012 #3
    Oh, I've got it now. I just take the derivative of the function, then I can solve for k1 and k2.

Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook