Calculate the time for a spacecraft to arrive at Mars (No Kepler's law)

In summary: Sun?The hint given by the book is to use the semiminor axis instead of the radius to calculate the semi major axis of the ellipse. The semi period is just the time it takes for the ellipse to make one full orbit around the sun. In summary, the book suggests using the semiminor axis to calculate the semi major axis of the ellipse. The semi period is just the time it takes for the ellipse to make one full orbit around the sun.
jisbon
Homework Statement
A minimum-energy transfer orbit to an outer planet consists of putting a spacecraft on
an elliptical trajectory with the departure planet corresponding to the perihelion of the ellipse, or the closest point to the Sun, and the arrival planet at the aphelion, or the farthest point from the Sun. (Assume the orbital radius of the Earth is ##1.50*10^8## m, and the orbital radius of Mars is ##2.30*10^8## m, and mass of Sun to be ##2.00*10^30##kg. Calculate how long spacecraft will take to arrive at Mars.
Relevant Equations
NIL
1569240762096.png

So I've seen many similar questions like this on the internet, but they all involve using Kepler's law, which is not in my syllabus in my case. However, they do give me the mass of the Sun. which I assume involves gravitational force/field/circular motion?
The question also gave me a hint that I could work out the formula by assuming radius r and then replace with semi-major axis a. Not sure what it is talking about exactly.
Sorry, but I don't really know how to start this, but advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
jisbon said:
Homework Statement: A minimum-energy transfer orbit to an outer planet consists of putting a spacecraft on
an elliptical trajectory with the departure planet corresponding to the perihelion of the ellipse, or the closest point to the Sun, and the arrival planet at the aphelion, or the farthest point from the Sun. (Assume the orbital radius of the Earth is ##1.50*10^8## m, and the orbital radius of Mars is ##2.30*10^8## m, and mass of Sun to be ##2.00*10^30##kg. Calculate how long spacecraft will take to arrive at Mars.
Homework Equations: NIL

View attachment 250073

So I've seen many similar questions like this on the internet, but they all involve using Kepler's law, which is not in my syllabus in my case. However, they do give me the mass of the Sun. which I assume involves gravitational force/field/circular motion?
The question also gave me a hint that I could work out the formula by assuming radius r and then replace with semi-major axis a. Not sure what it is talking about exactly.
Sorry, but I don't really know how to start this, but advice will be appreciated. Thanks!
Can you start by computing the semimajor axis?

haruspex said:
Can you start by computing the semimajor axis?
I'm not sure where is the semi major axis/what is it even. Any clues to that? Thanks

haruspex said:

OK, so that is like a ellipse. So to compute semi major axis, isn't it just the radius since we can assume semi major axis is half the long axis of the ellipse? (AKA then diameter)? What do I do next after knowing the semi major axis?

jisbon said:
OK, so that is like a ellipse. So to compute semi major axis, isn't it just the radius since we can assume semi major axis is half the long axis of the ellipse? (AKA then diameter)? What do I do next after knowing the semi major axis?
You can assume the launch is timed such that Mars will be in the right place at the time its orbit is reached. So you just need the time to go around half the ellipse.
The hint allows you to pretend instead that it goes around half a circle.
How long does the Earth take to do that? What about Mars?

jisbon said:
I think the scheme that you posted is very good and it allow us to determine the major axis of the ellipse by just looking at it. I think the major axis of the elliptical orbit of the spacecraft is ##r_{Mars}+r_{Earth}##.

Delta2 said:
I think the scheme that you posted is very good and it allow us to determine the major axis of the ellipse by just looking at it. I think the major axis of the elliptical orbit of the spacecraft is ##r_{Mars}+r_{Earth}##.
Yep, I can see that the major axis of the elliptical orbit of the spacecraft is ##r_{Mars}+r_{Earth}##. With this information of the distance of the major axis, what will I do next? Incorporate gravitational force between the sun and the ship or? And how do I exactly get a period out of the force?
Thanks

jisbon said:
Yep, I can see that the major axis of the elliptical orbit of the spacecraft is ##r_{Mars}+r_{Earth}##. With this information of the distance of the major axis, what will I do next? Incorporate gravitational force between the sun and the ship or? And how do I exactly get a period out of the force?
Thanks
Can you post exactly the hint given by your book (that about assuming radius r and replacing with the semi major axis). I think your book means that the elliptical orbit of the spaceship is approximately equivalent to a circular orbit of radius ##r=\frac{r_{Mars}+r_{Earth}}{2}##. And all you got to do is finding the semi period of this circular orbit around the sun.

Delta2 said:
Can you post exactly the hint given by your book (that about assuming radius r and replacing with the semi major axis). I think your book means that the elliptical orbit of the spaceship is approximately equivalent to a circular orbit of radius ##r=\frac{r_{Mars}+r_{Earth}}{2}##. And all you got to do is finding the semi period of this circular orbit around the sun.
The hint is exactly as follows:

You can work out the required formula by assuming circular radius r, then replace with the semi-major axis a. The semi-major axis is half the long axis of the cliipise.

And by finding the semi period will this be correct?

##\frac{GMm}{r^2}=\frac{mv^2}{r}##
##v =\sqrt{\frac{GM}{r}}##
Orbital speed = ##\frac{Distance travelled}{T}##
where Distance = ##\frac{r_{Mars}+r_{Earth}}{2}## ?
##T = Distance / speed##
##= \frac{r_{Mars}+r_{Earth}}{2} / \sqrt{\frac{GM}{r}}##
?
Thanks

Almost correct, but distance traveled is equal to ##\frac{2\pi\frac{r_{Mars}+r_{Earth}}{2}}{2}##, that is the distance of a half circle of radius ##\frac{r_{Mars}+r_{Earth}}{2}##.

Delta2 said:
Almost correct, but distance traveled is equal to ##\frac{2\pi\frac{r_{Mars}+r_{Earth}}{2}}{2}##, that is the distance of a half circle of radius ##\frac{r_{Mars}+r_{Earth}}{2}##.
Yep, forgot the formula for the radius. Will get back to you to see if I can get it correct this time

EDIT: Seems to be wrong. Did I make any mistakes along the way?

##\frac{\frac{\pi \left(\left(2.3\cdot 10^8\right)+\left(1.5\cdot 10^8\right)\right)}{2}}{\sqrt{\frac{\left(6.673\cdot \:10^{-11}\right)\left(2\cdot 10^{30}\right)}{\frac{\left(2.3\cdot \:10^8\right)+\left(1.5\cdot \:10^8\right)}{2}}}}## = 712...

jisbon said:
Yep, forgot the formula for the radius. Will get back to you to see if I can get it correct this time

EDIT: Seems to be wrong. Did I make any mistakes along the way?

##\frac{\frac{\pi \left(\left(2.3\cdot 10^8\right)+\left(1.5\cdot 10^8\right)\right)}{2}}{\sqrt{\frac{\left(6.673\cdot \:10^{-11}\right)\left(2\cdot 10^{30}\right)}{\frac{\left(2.3\cdot \:10^8\right)+\left(1.5\cdot \:10^8\right)}{2}}}}## = 712...
THe period is proportional to r3, right? So you can quickly derive it as a ratio from Earths's period. I get 742 days.

haruspex said:
THe period is proportional to r3, right? So you can quickly derive it as a ratio from Earths's period. I get 742 days.
You mean the square of the period is proportional to ##r^3##. That's kepler's 3rd law. So does this give 742 days or is 742 days a blunder assuming the period is proportional to ##r^3##?

I get around 520 days period, 260 days the time for the spacecraft since it is half period.

Delta2 said:
You mean the square of the period is proportional to ##r^3##. That's kepler's 3rd law. So does this give 742 days or is 742 days a blunder assuming the period is proportional to ##r^3##?
I don't know if I'm supposed to use keplers law in this scenario because I have not been taught about it. I was thinking more along the lines of using gravitational forces to solve for this

Essentially your work is a proof of Kepler's 3rd law... you end up to the result that
$$T=\frac{2\pi r}{\sqrt{\frac{GM_{sun}}{r}}}\Rightarrow T^2=\frac{4\pi^2}{GM_{sun}}r^3$$

EDIT: I just figured out what's wrong with your calculations: There is a mistake in the units of the given orbital radius of Earth and mars, the units should be in Km not in meters.

Last edited:
Delta2 said:
Essentially your work is a proof of Kepler's 3rd law... you end up to the result that
$$T=\frac{2\pi r}{\sqrt{\frac{GM_{sun}}{r}}}\Rightarrow T^2=\frac{4\pi^2}{GM_{sun}}r^3$$

EDIT: I just figured out what's wrong with your calculations: There is a mistake in the units of the given orbital radius of Earth and mars, the units should be in Km not in meters.
Yes, I realized I mistyped the question statement. It should be in KM, so values should still hold.

The answer given is 0.714 years, which is still wrong even if it's problems with the units. Any ideas?

0.714 years (earthen years) is about 260 days just as I said in post #15

Check again your calculations, the LHS of the equation in post #12 is correct, it just that where you have ##10^8## you should put ##10^{11}##

Last edited:
Delta2 said:
0.714 years (earthen years) is about 260 days just as I said in post #15

Check again your calculations, the LHS of the equation in post #12 is correct, it just that where you have ##10^8## you should put ##10^{11}##
Got it! Guess I have to convert the km to m first (SI Units probably). Thanks!

Likes Delta2

1. How long does it take for a spacecraft to reach Mars?

The time it takes for a spacecraft to reach Mars depends on the speed of the spacecraft and the distance between Earth and Mars. On average, it takes around 7 months for a spacecraft to travel from Earth to Mars.

2. What factors affect the time it takes for a spacecraft to reach Mars?

The main factors that affect the time for a spacecraft to reach Mars are the distance between Earth and Mars, the speed of the spacecraft, and the alignment of the two planets. The closer the two planets are in their orbits, the shorter the travel time will be. Additionally, the speed of the spacecraft can also impact the travel time.

3. How fast does a spacecraft need to travel to reach Mars?

The speed required for a spacecraft to reach Mars depends on the distance between the two planets and the time frame in which the spacecraft needs to arrive. On average, a spacecraft needs to travel at a speed of around 24,600 miles per hour to reach Mars in 7 months.

4. Can a spacecraft reach Mars faster than 7 months?

Yes, a spacecraft can reach Mars faster than 7 months depending on its speed and the alignment of Earth and Mars. The shortest travel time recorded for a spacecraft to reach Mars was around 6 months, but it required the use of a gravity assist maneuver.

5. What is a gravity assist maneuver and how does it affect the time it takes for a spacecraft to reach Mars?

A gravity assist maneuver, also known as a slingshot maneuver, is a technique used by spacecraft to gain speed and change direction by using the gravitational pull of a planet. This can significantly reduce the travel time to reach Mars, but it requires precise timing and calculations. For example, the gravity assist maneuver used by the Mariner 10 spacecraft in 1974 reduced its travel time to Venus and Mercury by 5 months.