Calculate the total available energy from a water stream by use of a t

In summary, the question is about determining the amount of potential energy that can be captured using a turbine when water is flowing down a pipe into a river. The formula for this calculation is (Mass Flowrate X Gravitational constant X Change in Elevation) - Friction losses. The conversation also discusses the difficulty in calculating the friction in the pipe due to its large diameter and not being full of water. A suggestion is made to use the equation v = Q/A to calculate the average velocity of the stream.
bobmurray1
I keep confusing myself on this question, basically i want to know how you would determine the amount of potential energy you could capture by using a turbine, if water is flowing down a pipe into a river.

The change in elevation from the start to end of pipe is 30 meters.
The pipe is 100 meters long.
Water is flowing at a rate of 10 liters per second.

Not assuming the efficiency of the water turbine itself, is the formula just the potential energy minus the friction in the pipe? Thus:
Power per time = (Mass Flowrate X Gravitational constant X Change in Elevation) - Friction losses
= ((10 L/s X 0.001 m3/L X 1000 kg/m3) X (9.81 m/s2) X (30 m)) - Friction
= (2943 W/s or 2.94 kW/s) - Friction

Also second question, I know how to calculate the friction in a pipe, but the problem i cannot get my head around is that because the pipe is nearly a meter in diameter, the pipe is not full of water, thus i don't know how to calculate Reynolds number etc? Any help here would also be appreciated,

Thanks Guys

Physics news on Phys.org
If only you knew the velocity of the stream...

Why not try v = Q/A ; Q = volumetric flow rate, A = area of the stream, v= average velocity

See as a reference,
Open channel flow
http://mysite.du.edu/~etuttle/tech/opench.htm

1. How do you calculate the total available energy from a water stream?

To calculate the total available energy from a water stream, you will need to know the flow rate of the water stream (in cubic meters per second) and the height difference (in meters) between the source of the water and the point where the energy will be harnessed. The formula for calculating the total available energy is: Energy = (Flow rate) x (Height difference) x (Acceleration due to gravity).

2. What is the acceleration due to gravity used for in this calculation?

The acceleration due to gravity is used to convert the height difference (in meters) to potential energy. This is because gravity is the force responsible for pulling the water down and creating potential energy.

3. Can this calculation be used for any type of water stream?

Yes, this calculation can be used for any type of water stream as long as the flow rate and height difference are known. However, it is important to note that the accuracy of the calculation may vary depending on factors such as the shape and size of the water stream.

4. How accurate is this calculation?

The accuracy of this calculation depends on several factors, such as the precision of the measurements used for the flow rate and height difference, and any external factors that may affect the water stream (e.g. wind, temperature). It is recommended to use precise measurements and account for any external factors to ensure the accuracy of the calculation.

5. What are some potential applications for this calculation?

This calculation can be used for various applications, such as determining the potential energy available for hydroelectric power generation, estimating the power output of a water turbine, or evaluating the feasibility of using a water stream for energy production. It can also be used in environmental studies to assess the impact of diverting or harnessing water streams on the surrounding ecosystem.