Calculating Acceleration of a Mass in 2D Plane

In summary, the problem involves three forces acting on a 2.6 kg mass in the x-y plane. The angles and magnitudes of the forces are given, and the goal is to calculate the magnitude of the acceleration. Using Newton's Second Law and calculating the x and y components of each force, the acceleration is determined to be 1.688 m/s^2 in the x direction and 7.808 m/s^2 in the y direction. To find the magnitude of the acceleration, these two components can be added together. Alternatively, the final two components of the force can be combined to get a single net force, and then F = ma can be used to calculate the acceleration.
PhysicsCCR

Homework Statement

Three forces in the x-y plane act on a 2.6 kg mass: 13.3 N directed at 65°, 7.6 N directed at 160 °, and 10.1 N directed at 236° . All angles are measured from the positive x-axis, with positive angles in the Counter-Clockwise direction. Calculate the magnitude of the acceleration.

Homework Equations

Fx = m*ax
Fy - m*ay
Newton's Second Law in the x and y direction, respectively.

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a picture on a scratch piece of paper, calculated x and y components of each vector, and then added x and y components of the resultant. Solving for acceleration, I got ax = 1.688 m/s^2, and ay = 7.808 m/s^2.

How do I get the magnitude of the acceleration? Sorry for not being able to post my picture.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicsCCR said:

Homework Statement

Three forces in the x-y plane act on a 2.6 kg mass: 13.3 N directed at 65°, 7.6 N directed at 160 °, and 10.1 N directed at 236° . All angles are measured from the positive x-axis, with positive angles in the Counter-Clockwise direction. Calculate the magnitude of the acceleration.

Homework Equations

Fx = m*ax
Fy - m*ay
Newton's Second Law in the x and y direction, respectively.

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a picture on a scratch piece of paper, calculated x and y components of each vector, and then added x and y components of the resultant. Solving for acceleration, I got ax = 1.688 m/s^2, and ay = 7.808 m/s^2.

How do I get the magnitude of the acceleration? Sorry for not being able to post my picture.

You can probably add those two components - the reverse of the was you calculated the components of each Force.
Personally, I would have combined the final two components of the force to get a single net Force and then used F = ma, but it should give the same answer.

Related to Calculating Acceleration of a Mass in 2D Plane

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In simpler terms, it refers to how fast an object's speed is changing.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it takes for that change to occur. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. How is acceleration measured in a 2D plane?

In a 2D plane, acceleration can be measured in two directions: horizontal and vertical. This is because an object can have both horizontal and vertical velocity components. The acceleration in each direction is calculated separately using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t.

4. What units are used to measure acceleration?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the metric system, or feet per second squared (ft/s^2) in the imperial system. Other common units include kilometers per hour squared (km/h^2) and miles per hour squared (mi/h^2).

5. How does Newton's second law relate to calculating acceleration?

Newton's second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a greater net force will result in a greater acceleration, while a greater mass will result in a smaller acceleration. The formula for this relationship is a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is net force, and m is mass.