Calculating Ammonia/Water Ratio for pH Adjustment

In summary, the conversation is about determining the amount of NH3 needed to raise the pH of 100,000 litres of water from 8 to 9 or greater. The water is a reservoir of storm water and the initial pH may have been 7 or 7.5. More information may be needed to accurately determine the amount of NH3 needed.
FC Copenbadly
Hello!

If I have 100,000 litres of water at a pH of 8. How much NH3 at a concentration of 25%, pH >13 would I require to bring total pH to 9 or greater. An approximate figure would suffice if anyone can help.

Thanks in advance.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
We need to know what is in the water and its concentration that is keeping the pH at 8. Is it buffered at pH 8, for example?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

It's just a reservoir of storm water. The pH before hand might have been 7 or 7.5, I'm just wondering how much ammonia it would take to raise the pH of 100,000 litres by 1. Either from 7 - 8 or 7.5 - 8.5 Hopefully this is enough information but if you require more I'll do my best and thanks again.

Related to Calculating Ammonia/Water Ratio for pH Adjustment

1. What is the relationship between ammonia and water pH?

Ammonia and water have an inverse relationship when it comes to pH. As the concentration of ammonia increases, the pH of the water decreases. This is because ammonia acts as a base, accepting protons (H+) from water and decreasing the overall acidity of the solution.

2. Why is it important to understand the ammonia/water pH relationship?

Understanding the relationship between ammonia and water pH is crucial in various industries, such as wastewater treatment, aquaculture, and agriculture. It helps in monitoring and controlling the levels of ammonia in water, which is essential for the health and survival of aquatic organisms and the overall ecosystem.

3. How does temperature affect the ammonia/water pH relationship?

Temperature plays a significant role in the ammonia/water pH relationship. As the temperature increases, the solubility of ammonia in water decreases, resulting in a lower concentration of ammonia in the water. This, in turn, leads to a higher pH due to the decreased base concentration.

4. Can the ammonia/water pH relationship be reversed?

No, the ammonia/water pH relationship cannot be reversed. Ammonia will always act as a base in water and decrease the pH. However, the extent of this decrease can be controlled by adjusting the concentration of ammonia in the water.

5. How can the ammonia/water pH relationship be measured?

The ammonia/water pH relationship can be measured using a pH meter or pH indicator strips. These tools measure the concentration of hydrogen ions in the water, which is directly related to the pH. Additionally, ammonia-specific sensors can be used to measure the concentration of ammonia in water, which can then be used to calculate the resulting pH.