Calculating Buoyant Force: Brain Blocks Pt II

In summary, the box, suspended from a cable in a vacuum with a weight of 4450N and a width of .608m, has a buoyant force of 2080N when suspended in a liquid with a density of 944 kg/m^3 at a distance of L/2 from the surface. The new tension on the cable is 2370N, and the force pushing down from the top and pushing up from the bottom are found by using D*g*h and solving for F = P * L^2, where h is the height and L is the length of the box.
falcon0311
I have a box when suspended from a cable in a vacuum is 4450N and is .608m wide (it's also a cube).

W = 4450N = T1 (tension on the cable)
V = 0.2248m^3

When I suspend it into a liquid, L/2 m from the surface, of density 944 kg/m^3, I want to know the buoyant force, the new tension of the cable, the force pushing down from the top and the force pushing up from the bottom from the liquid the box is suspended in.

L/2 = 0.608m / 2 = 0.304m

I have the buoyant force as being T1 - T2 = Fb = D( V )g (of the liquid)

944kg/m^3 * 0.2248m^3 * 9.8m/s^2 = 2080N = Fb

T2 = T1 - Fb = 4450N - 2080N = 2370N = T2

But how do I find the forces from the liquid above and below the box?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
falcon0311 said:
I have a box when suspended from a cable in a vacuum is 4450N and is .608m wide (it's also a cube).

W = 4450N = T1 (tension on the cable)
V = 0.2248m^3

When I suspend it into a liquid, L/2 m from the surface, of density 944 kg/m^3, I want to know the buoyant force, the new tension of the cable, the force pushing down from the top and the force pushing up from the bottom from the liquid the box is suspended in.

L/2 = 0.608m / 2 = 0.304m

I have the buoyant force as being T1 - T2 = Fb = D( V )g (of the liquid)

944kg/m^3 * 0.2248m^3 * 9.8m/s^2 = 2080N = Fb

T2 = T1 - Fb = 4450N - 2080N = 2370N = T2

But how do I find the forces from the liquid above and below the box?

Thanks for any help!

D*g*h = the pressure acting on the top or bottom of the box at a given height "h"

i assume L/2 means half the box's length.

you can go D*g*(L/2) = pressure on top

you also know that P = F/A

solve for F = P * L^2

That should be the force on top. Do the same for the bottom, except use (3L/2) as the height and those should be the answers.

Last edited:

The force from the liquid above the box can be calculated using the formula F1 = P1 * A, where P1 is the pressure at the surface of the liquid and A is the area of the box. We can find the pressure using the formula P = ρgh, where ρ is the density of the liquid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the box in the liquid. In this case, h = L/2 = 0.304m. So, P1 = 944kg/m^3 * 9.8m/s^2 * 0.304m = 2819.52 N/m^2. Therefore, F1 = 2819.52 N/m^2 * 0.608m^2 = 1715.10 N.

Similarly, the force from the liquid below the box can be calculated using the formula F2 = P2 * A, where P2 is the pressure at the bottom of the box. In this case, h = 0 since the box is resting on the bottom of the liquid. So, P2 = 944kg/m^3 * 9.8m/s^2 * 0m = 0 N/m^2. Therefore, F2 = 0 N/m^2 * 0.608m^2 = 0 N.

In summary, the force pushing down from the top is 1715.10 N and the force pushing up from the bottom is 0 N. These two forces combined with the buoyant force of 2080N will result in a net upward force of 2080N on the box, which is equal to the weight of the displaced liquid.

Related to Calculating Buoyant Force: Brain Blocks Pt II

What is buoyant force?

Buoyant force is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object that is partially or fully submerged in the fluid. It is a result of the pressure difference between the top and bottom of the object.

What is the formula for calculating buoyant force?

The formula for calculating buoyant force is Fb = ρVg, where Fb is the buoyant force, ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the object submerged, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How is buoyant force related to an object's weight?

Buoyant force is directly related to an object's weight. If the buoyant force acting on an object is greater than its weight, the object will float. If the buoyant force is less than its weight, the object will sink.

What factors affect the buoyant force on an object?

The buoyant force on an object is affected by the density of the fluid, the volume of the object submerged, and the acceleration due to gravity. It is also affected by the shape and density of the object itself.

Can the buoyant force on an object ever be negative?

No, the buoyant force on an object can never be negative. It is always directed upwards and acts in the opposite direction to the weight of the object. If the buoyant force is greater than the weight, the object will float. If it is less than the weight, the object will sink.