Calculating Circle of Convergence for f(z) = (3z+1)/(15+2z-z^{2}) at z=1

In summary: I think I'm a little more comfortable with this concept now.In summary, the function f(z) = (3z+1)/(15+2z-z^{2}) has a circle of convergence of |z-1|<4 when expanded at z=1 using a power series representation. This is found by first expressing the function in terms of u, where u=z-1, and then power expanding in u to get a series representation. The radius of convergence is larger than |z-1|<4, which is the result of expanding the function at z=0.
elimenohpee

Homework Statement

Expand [tex] f(z) = (3z+1)/(15+2z-z^{2}) [/tex] at z=1 and find the circle of convergence.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this is pretty straight forward, but I want to make sure I'm doing everything correctly. I used a power series representation to find the circle of convergence, and expanded the function using the taylor series evaluated at z=1.

[tex] f(z) = (3z+1)/(15+2z-z^{2})
= -1/3 (1 / (1 + z/3)) + 2/5(1 / (1 - (z/5))
= -1/3\sum(-1)^{n} (z/3)^{n} + 2/5\sum (z/5)^{n} , |z|< 3 [/tex]

circle of convergence is then |z| < 3

I worked out the taylor series, and it matched with wolfram alpha here:
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=taylor+series+%283z%2B1%29%2F%2815%2B2z-z^2%29++at+z%3D1

Does everything look correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you expand the function around z=0 then, yes, the circle of convergence is |z|<3. But they want you to expand around z=1. Don't you want an expression like |z-1|<R?

Dick said:
If you expand the function around z=0 then, yes, the circle of convergence is |z|<3. But they want you to expand around z=1. Don't you want an expression like |z-1|<R?

Wow, I have no idea why I didn't see that.. DOH

Basically, what I need to do is find the series representation of f(z) evaluated at z=1, then I can use a ratio/root test to easily find the circle of convergence right? If I understand correctly, that test is needed to find the region of convergence.

When looking at the expanded series about z=1, I think I have the series representation, but I'm confused on how to formulate the '3' entering the expansion for odd values in the summation. Looks like the series representation would look like this (without the 3 entering for odd numbers):

[tex]\sum(z-1)^{n}/4^{n+1}[/tex]

Once I know the series representation, I think I can handle the rest of it.

Here's a trick. Put u=z-1. Now express the function in terms of u. The radius of convergence of f(u) around u=0 is the same as the radius of convergence of f(z) around z=1.

Clever trick! Looks as if the circle of convergence would be |z-1| < 3

Its not needed to answer the question, but how exactly would you account for the '3' term entering the taylors expansion for odd values of n? Its bugging me!

Thank you again for the help!

elimenohpee said:
Clever trick! Looks as if the circle of convergence would be |z-1| < 3

Its not needed to answer the question, but how exactly would you account for the '3' term entering the taylors expansion for odd values of n? Its bugging me!

Thank you again for the help!

It's not |z-1|<3. The radius of convergence is larger than that. Like I said, try and express the function in terms of u.

Dick said:
It's not |z-1|<3. The radius of convergence is larger than that. Like I said, try and express the function in terms of u.

Let me show my work I've done up to this point and see where I am failing to understand.

[tex] f(z) = \frac{3z+1}{15+2z-z^{2}} [/tex]

perform a partial fraction expansion to get the expression in a easily recognized series:

[tex] = \frac{-1}{3}(\frac{1}{1+\frac{z}{3}}) + \frac{2}{5}(\frac{1}{1-\frac{z}{5}}) [/tex]

[tex]= \frac{-1}{3}\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} (-1)^{n} (\frac{z}{3})^{n} + \frac{2}{5}\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} (\frac{z}{5})^{n}, (|z|< 3, |z| < 5) [/tex]

This is all about the point z=0.

If I make the substitution u = z-1

[tex]= \frac{-1}{3}\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} (-1)^{n} (\frac{u}{3})^{n} + \frac{2}{5}\sum^{\infty}_{n=0} (\frac{u}{5})^{n}, (|u|< 3, |u| < 5) [/tex]

[tex] |u| < 3 == |z-1|< 3 , |u|< 5 == |z-1|< 5 [/tex]

Am I correct the previous steps? Isn't |z-1|<3 a stronger case than |z-1|<5? Or am I going about this the wrong way.

Last edited:
You are still expanding around z=0 and then trying to patch things up. Substitute u=z-1 by replacing z with u+1 in f(z) BEFORE you power expand. Express it in terms of u. THEN power expand in u.

ahhhhhh..ok I got it now. Thank you! I will do that and repost to see if I get the right circle of convergence. Thanks :)

Before I type all of my work up, I get the convergence to be |z-1|< 4 ... if that's not right I'm lost lol.

elimenohpee said:
Before I type all of my work up, I get the convergence to be |z-1|< 4 ... if that's not right I'm lost lol.

It's right.

Thank you for the help once again.

Related to Calculating Circle of Convergence for f(z) = (3z+1)/(15+2z-z^{2}) at z=1

What is a complex Taylor series?

A complex Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a complex-valued function using a sum of terms that involve the function's derivatives evaluated at a specific point. It is an extension of a real-valued Taylor series, which only uses real numbers.

Why are complex Taylor series important?

Complex Taylor series are important because they allow us to approximate complex functions with a series of simpler functions. This can be useful in solving complex equations and studying the behavior of functions near a specific point.

How is a complex Taylor series different from a real-valued Taylor series?

A complex Taylor series involves complex numbers, while a real-valued Taylor series only involves real numbers. Additionally, a complex Taylor series may have different convergence properties compared to a real-valued Taylor series.

What is the general formula for a complex Taylor series?

The general formula for a complex Taylor series is: f(z) = f(a) + f'(a)(z-a) + f''(a)(z-a)^2/2! + f'''(a)(z-a)^3/3! + ..., where f(z) is the complex function, a is the point of expansion, and z is a complex number.

How do you determine the convergence of a complex Taylor series?

To determine the convergence of a complex Taylor series, we use the ratio test or the root test, similar to how we would determine the convergence of a real-valued Taylor series. The series will converge if the limit of the ratio or root is less than 1.