Calculating Distance Between Two Points: Simplifying Radical Expressions

In summary, the person is trying to self-study their way back through Calc I in preparation for completing their CS degree. They are having difficulty with determining the distance between two points and are unsure if their reduced answer is correct. They receive clarification on how to calculate the square and confirm the correct answer is √(8-2√3).
Xavier
First I'd like to say that I'm getting back into college after several years out in the job market. Unfortunately, I need to complete several more upper division math courses before I can complete my CS degree. Before I go back and start taking my classes again, I've been trying to self-study my way back through Calc I, and having difficulty just getting beyond the first section. Maybe I just need to refamiliarize myself with the basics.

What has me stuck is determining the distance between two points. Pretty simple. I understand the theory, and can work the problems well, until I got to this one, and I've been stuck.

Determine the distance between two points:
(1,√3), (-1,1)

My book shows the answer as:
√(8-2√3)

(I'm at work, I'll need to verify this, but 99% sure this is what the book states. I do know the question is 100% correct.)

When I apply the distance formula:
√((X2-X1)^2+(Y2-Y1)^2)

I get:
√((-1-1)^2+(1-√3)^2)

When I reduce this I get:
√(4+(1-√3)^2)

Am I not reducing this far enough? If so, how do you reduce down to √(8-2√3)?

Thanks for your help and patience!

Physics news on Phys.org
Xavier said:
When I reduce this I get:
√(4+(1-√3)^2)

Am I not reducing this far enough? If so, how do you reduce down to √(8-2√3)?

Just calculate the square:

√(4+(1-√3)^2)

= √(4+(1-√3)(1-√3))

= √(4+1-2√3+3)

= √(8-2√3)

Last edited:
Thank you! Makes sense to me now. I know it seems basic, but I suppose this is where I have the most difficult time.. knowing where to use what to get the most simple answer.

Thanks again for your help!

Related to Calculating Distance Between Two Points: Simplifying Radical Expressions

1. How does reducing radicals and squares simplify mathematical equations?

Reducing radicals and squares involves finding the simplified form of a radical or a squared term. This simplification can make equations easier to solve and can also reveal patterns or relationships between terms.

2. Can all radicals and squares be reduced?

No, not all radicals and squares can be reduced. Only square roots (radicals with an index of 2) and perfect squares (numbers that can be expressed as the square of an integer) can be reduced.

3. What is the process for reducing a radical?

To reduce a radical, you need to find the largest perfect square factor of the radicand (the number under the radical sign) and take its square root. The remaining factors inside the radical can be simplified if possible. The square root of the perfect square factor is moved outside of the radical.

4. How can reducing radicals and squares be used in real-life situations?

Reducing radicals and squares can be used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and finance to simplify and solve equations. It can also be used to simplify measurements and measurements with units.

5. Are there any special rules for reducing radicals and squares?

Yes, there are a few special rules for reducing radicals and squares. For example, the square root of a product is equal to the product of the square roots of each factor. Also, when reducing a radical with a coefficient, the coefficient can be factored out and the radical can be simplified separately.