Calculating Doppler Shift with Ship Sonar and Moving Targets

In summary: I used the speed of sound in air instead of water, so the wavelength was incorrect. In summary, the frequency difference between the directly radiated waves and the waves reflected from a whale traveling towards a ship at 5.00 m/s is 12 Hz. This was due to using the incorrect speed of sound in the calculation of the wavelength.
jackleyt

Homework Statement

The sound source of a ship's sonar system operates at a frequency of 23.0 kHz. The speed of sound in water is 1482 m/s.

What is the difference in frequency between the directly radiated waves and the waves reflected from a whale traveling straight toward the ship at 5.00 m/s? The ship is at rest in the water.

Homework Equations

fL= fS(v+vL)/(v+vS)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the first part of the question, which was to find the wavelength. The wavelength is 6.44*10^(-2) m. For the second part, I calculated the frequency of the directly radiated waves and got 23,012.4 Hz. Then, I used the Doppler effect equation and got the frequency that the whale heard, which was 23077 Hz. I used that frequency to determine the reflection, and I got 23,000 Hz. The difference was 12 Hz, which was wrong. Can someone help me with what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A couple of things could have gone wrong here, but from what I see they aren't math related. Either:

1) The frequency of the waves reflected from the whale (the waves that the whale is producing) is 23077 Hz. 23 kHz is the frequency of the waves reflected from the whale and heard by the submarine. Small difference but a difference nonetheless.

2) The wavelength you calculated in a) was in a different medium than water.

Thanks! It was the latter of the two.

Related to Calculating Doppler Shift with Ship Sonar and Moving Targets

1. What is the Doppler Effect of ship sonar?

The Doppler Effect of ship sonar is a phenomenon where the frequency of sound waves emitted by a ship's sonar changes when the ship is in motion. This results in a perceived change in pitch for an observer, which can be used to determine the speed and direction of the ship.

2. How does the Doppler Effect of ship sonar work?

The ship's sonar emits sound waves at a constant frequency. When the ship is stationary, the sound waves will travel in all directions at the same speed. However, when the ship is in motion, the sound waves in front of the ship will be compressed, resulting in a higher frequency, while the sound waves behind the ship will be stretched, resulting in a lower frequency. This change in frequency is what creates the Doppler Effect.

3. How is the Doppler Effect of ship sonar used in navigation?

The Doppler Effect of ship sonar is used to determine the speed and direction of the ship. By analyzing the change in frequency of the sound waves, a ship's crew can calculate their speed and direction relative to other objects in the water, such as other ships or underwater obstacles.

4. Can the Doppler Effect of ship sonar be affected by other factors?

Yes, the Doppler Effect of ship sonar can be affected by factors such as water temperature, salinity, and depth. These factors can impact the speed at which sound waves travel through the water, resulting in slight variations in the frequency of the sonar waves.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using the Doppler Effect of ship sonar?

One disadvantage of using the Doppler Effect of ship sonar is that it can be affected by the ship's own motion. If the ship is making sharp turns or changing speed frequently, it can cause fluctuations in the frequency of the sonar waves, making it more difficult to accurately determine the ship's speed and direction. Additionally, background noise from other ships or marine animals can also interfere with the sonar readings.