Calculating Dose for 3 Hours of 0.3 mSv Beta Radiation Exposure

In summary: The maximum travellength of these particles is about 6 m ;)But it doesn't matter: W = 1 for this radiation and so the dose can be calculated for this radiation type :)
Ukitake Jyuushirou
For the SI measurement sieverts, are they in per seconds ? Off the internet I can find only sieverts measure as "joules per kg"

But one of the question in my textbook ask me how much dosage a person is exposed to 3 hrs of 0.3 millisieverts

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ukitake Jyuushirou said:
For the SI measurement sieverts, are they in per seconds ? Off the internet I can find only sieverts measure as "joules per kg"

But one of the question in my textbook ask me how much dosage a person is exposed to 3 hrs of 0.3 millisieverts

The dose equivalence H is related with the dose:

[tex] H = W * D[/tex]

with W = weightfactor and D = dose in J/kg. The sievert has thus the same unit as the dose: [tex]Jkg^{-1} = 1 Sv[/tex] (when the impact of the radiation is meant)

To answer your question: it depends on the type of radiotion how much dose a person has received, since the weightfactor for alfa-radiation = 20 (high ionisation damage) whereas beta/gamma/rontgen-radiation have a weightfactor of only 1. So this question misses some crucial information !

--> the Sievert is a unit which is comparable when looking at the effect of the radiation. Damage by 1 Sv alfa-radiation equals 1 Sv gamma-radiation, but 1 Gy alfa-radiation does not equal 1 Gy gamma-radiation.

Last edited:
sdekivit said:
The dose equivalence H is related with the dose:

[tex] H = W * D[/tex]

with W = weightfactor and D = dose in J/kg. The sievert has thus the same unit as the dose: [tex]Jkg^{-1} = 1 Sv[/tex] (when the impact of the radiation is meant)

To answer your question: it depends on the type of radiotion how much dose a person has received, since the weightfactor for alfa-radiation = 20 (high ionisation damage) whereas beta/gamma/rontgen-radiation have a weightfactor of only 1. So this question misses some crucial information !

--> the Sievert is a unit which is comparable when looking at the effect of the radiation. Damage by 1 Sv alfa-radiation equals 1 Sv gamma-radiation, but 1 Gy alfa-radiation does not equal 1 Gy gamma-radiation.

the question in its entirety:

The average radiation dose due to background radiation in Australia at ground level is 1.5 ms (milisievert) per year. Of this amount 0.3 ms is from cosmic radiation. The radiation dose due to cosmic source of a trip by plane from Sydney to Melbourne is 0.01 ms. If the trip takes 3 hrs , what radiation dose due to cosmic source does a person on the ground recieves?

:redface:

Ukitake Jyuushirou said:
the question in its entirety:

The average radiation dose due to background radiation in Australia at ground level is 1.5 ms (milisievert) per year. Of this amount 0.3 ms is from cosmic radiation. The radiation dose due to cosmic source of a trip by plane from Sydney to Melbourne is 0.01 ms. If the trip takes 3 hrs , what radiation dose due to cosmic source does a person on the ground recieves?

:redface:

do you think cosmic radiation can be alfa-radiation ? or beta-radiation ? or gamma-radiation? (Think about the properties and particles of these types of radiation)

This is the crucial info i meant and from this question you can determine the weightfactor for this radiation ;)

sdekivit said:
do you think cosmic radiation can be alfa-radiation ? or beta-radiation ? or gamma-radiation? (Think about the properties and particles of these types of radiation)

This is the crucial info i meant and from this question you can determine the weightfactor for this radiation ;)
beta radiation...cant be alfa...sweet...i'd go work on it... :smile:

Ukitake Jyuushirou said:
beta radiation...cant be alfa...sweet...i'd go work on it... :smile:

do you think the particles are electrons ? The maximum travellength of these particles is about 6 m ;)

But it doesn't matter: W = 1 for this radiation and so the dose can be calculated for this radiation type :)

Related to Calculating Dose for 3 Hours of 0.3 mSv Beta Radiation Exposure

What is radiation count?

Radiation count refers to the measurement of the amount of radiation present in a certain area or from a specific source. It is typically measured in units such as counts per minute or counts per second.

How is radiation count measured?

Radiation count is measured using a device called a Geiger counter or radiation detector. This device detects and counts the number of radioactive particles or waves that pass through it.

What factors can affect radiation count?

Several factors can affect radiation count, such as the type and intensity of the radiation source, distance from the source, and shielding materials present. Other factors like temperature and humidity can also affect the accuracy of radiation count measurements.

What are the potential health risks of high radiation count?

Exposure to high levels of radiation can have various health effects, including damage to cells and tissues, increased risk of cancer, and acute radiation sickness. The severity of these effects depends on the type of radiation, duration of exposure, and individual factors like age and overall health.

How can radiation count be reduced?

Radiation count can be reduced by limiting exposure to radiation sources, increasing distance from the source, and using protective shielding materials. Additionally, proper handling and disposal of radioactive materials can also help reduce radiation count in the environment.