Calculating Earth's Temperature Change from Increased Solar Constant

• Thread starter TheMathNoob
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model
In summary, the Earth's temperature would change by a small amount due to the increase in the solar constant over the last 100 years. This can be calculated by using the equation [L * (1 – a)] / [4 * e * sigma]) 1/4 = Tground and substituting the old L value with the new L value, which is the old L value plus 0.1 W/m2. This will give us the new Tground, from which we can compare with the old Tground to see the change in temperature.
TheMathNoob

Homework Statement

Over the last ~100 years, the average solar constant has increased by ~ 0.1 W/m2.
How much would the Earth’s temperature change simply due to this increase in the solar constant?

Homework Equations

[L * (1 – a)] / [4 * e * sigma]) 1/4 = Tground

L is the incoming solar radiation in the earth
a is the albedo
e is the emissitivity
sigma is the boltzman constant[
We showed that a = 0.3, e = 0.6, L= 1350 W/m2, gives us a realistic surface temperature.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted this by increasing the incoming radiation of the sun by 0.1, so it would be 1350.1, but I think this is wrong because the solar constant is like the constant for emissitivity, so I would think that in some way, I have to calculate the new L which is the incoming radiation of the sun.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
TheMathNoob said:

Homework Statement

Over the last ~100 years, the average solar constant has increased by ~ 0.1 W/m2.
How much would the Earth’s temperature change simply due to this increase in the solar constant?

Homework Equations

([L * (1 – a)] / [4 * e * sigma]) 1/4 = Tground

a is the albedo
e is the emissitivity
We showed that a = 0.3, e = 0.6, L= 1350 W/m2, gives us a realistic surface temperature.

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted this by increasing the incoming radiation of the sun by 0.1, so it would be 1350.1, but I think this is wrong because the solar constant is like the constant for emissitivity, so I would think that in some way, I have to calculate the new L which is the incoming radiation of the sun.
You would be well advised to edit that post to put the Font size back to normal (Size 4) and remove the Bold-ing.

Last edited:
SammyS said:
You would be well advised to edit that post to put the Font size back to normal (Size 4) and remove the Bold-ing.
Done, now help me please!

TheMathNoob said:
Done, now help me please!
Is that 1/4 supposed to be an exponent for part, or all, of that expression?

Also: L is the solar constant.

SammyS said:
Is that 1/4 supposed to be an exponent for part, or all, of that expression?

Also: L is the solar constant.
Yes

TheMathNoob said:
I think this is wrong because the solar constant is like the constant for emissitivity,
Not sure what you mean. It is not some physical constant. Indeed, it probably should not be called a constant.

TheMathNoob said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[L * (1 – a)] / [4 * e * sigma]) 1/4 = Tground

a is the albedo
e is the emissitivity

Is this L the "old" or "new" value? In other words is it calculated for the present or 100 years ago? If present subtract the given change, 0.1. Calculate Tground with both old and new values to see how much it has changed.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

HallsofIvy said:
Is this L the "old" or "new" value? In other words is it calculated for the present or 100 years ago? If present subtract the given change, 0.1. Calculate Tground with both old and new values to see how much it has changed.
In this case, L is old and then we have to calculate the new T by increasing L I think by 0.1

TheMathNoob said:
In this case, L is old and then we have to calculate the new T by increasing L I think by 0.1
No.

Just increase the old L value by 0.1 W/m2 .

1. How does an increase in solar constant affect Earth's temperature?

An increase in solar constant, which is the measure of solar radiation received per unit of time on Earth's surface, leads to an increase in Earth's temperature. This is because more solar radiation is absorbed by the Earth, causing an imbalance in the energy budget and resulting in a rise in temperature.

2. What is the relationship between solar constant and global warming?

The solar constant is not the primary driver of global warming. While an increase in solar constant can contribute to a rise in Earth's temperature, it is not the main cause of the current global warming trend. The increase in atmospheric greenhouse gases, primarily from human activities, is the main driver of global warming.

3. How do scientists calculate Earth's temperature change from increased solar constant?

Scientists use mathematical models and data from satellites and ground-based observations to calculate the change in Earth's temperature from increased solar constant. These models take into account factors such as Earth's albedo, atmospheric composition, and energy balance to accurately predict the temperature change.

4. Is Earth's temperature change from increased solar constant uniform across the globe?

No, the temperature change from increased solar constant is not uniform across the globe. Different regions may experience different changes in temperature due to variations in factors such as cloud cover, ocean currents, and land surface properties. This is why scientists use global temperature averages to track changes in Earth's temperature over time.

5. Can changes in Earth's orbit also affect solar constant and thus, temperature change?

Yes, changes in Earth's orbit can affect solar constant and therefore, temperature change. These changes, known as Milankovitch cycles, occur over thousands of years and can impact the amount of solar radiation reaching Earth's surface. However, the current global warming trend is primarily driven by human activities and not changes in Earth's orbit.