Calculating Energy in Helium Ion Ground State via Bohr Model

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
steve233
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Consider a helium ion with 2 neutrons and 2 protons in the nucleus and 1 bound electron.
Use the Bohr model with corrections for charge and mass of the nucleus.

Calculate the energy in the ground state.

Homework Equations



m*v*r = n*(h/2*pi)

The Attempt at a Solution



Basically I'm confused how to make the corrections to the Bohr model for charge and mass. I'm fine with the rest of the question, I've just never seen an example of making the correction.
Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
steve233 said:

Homework Statement



Consider a helium ion with 2 neutrons and 2 protons in the nucleus and 1 bound electron.
Use the Bohr model with corrections for charge and mass of the nucleus.

Calculate the energy in the ground state.

Homework Equations



m*v*r = n*(h/2*pi)

The Attempt at a Solution



Basically I'm confused how to make the corrections to the Bohr model for charge and mass. I'm fine with the rest of the question, I've just never seen an example of making the correction.
Thanks.
The Bohr model of hydrogen atom calculates with the mass of a proton as nucleus mass and 1e charge. What are the mass and charge of the helium nucleus?