What is the Fermi wavelength of a graphene lattice in the tight binding model?

In summary, the Fermi wavelength of a system is related to the Fermi energy by the equation $\lambda_F = \frac{h}{\sqrt{2mE_F}}$. For a system with a Fermi energy of 3 (with $t=1$), the Fermi wavelength would be $\lambda_F = \frac{h}{\sqrt{6m}}$. Doping the system will cause the Fermi energy to change, resulting in a different Fermi wavelength.
Boccard
TL;DR Summary
Fermi wavelength of a tight binding system
I am trying to figure out what the Fermi wavelength of my system is. Specifically I am looking at simulation a graphene lattice in the tight binding model. For this, I know that the Fermi energy (undoped) of my system is 3t (for simplicity I set t = 1). But how do I figure out what the Fermi wavelength is for the purpose of what my system can accuratly simulate in length (in units of lattice spacing)?
Also, if I dope my system, how does that interact with the Fermi energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Fermi wavelength is related to the Fermi energy by the equation $\lambda_F = \frac{h}{\sqrt{2mE_F}}$. In your case, since you have set $t = 1$, the Fermi energy is $E_F = 3$ and so the Fermi wavelength is $\lambda_F = \frac{h}{\sqrt{2m3}}$. If you dope your system, the Fermi energy will adjust accordingly, and so the Fermi wavelength will also change.

1. What is Fermi wavelength?

Fermi wavelength is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wavelength of a particle at absolute zero temperature, where it possesses the maximum amount of kinetic energy. It is named after physicist Enrico Fermi.

2. How is Fermi wavelength calculated?

Fermi wavelength can be calculated using the equation λ = h/p, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, and p is the momentum of the particle. This equation is derived from the de Broglie wavelength equation, which relates the wavelength of a particle to its momentum.

3. What is the significance of Fermi wavelength?

Fermi wavelength is significant because it is used to describe the behavior of particles at extremely low temperatures, such as in superconductors and Bose-Einstein condensates. It also helps us understand the quantum nature of matter and its interactions.

4. Can Fermi wavelength be measured?

Yes, Fermi wavelength can be measured using various experimental techniques, such as electron diffraction or neutron scattering. These techniques involve measuring the wavelength of particles and using the equation mentioned earlier to calculate the Fermi wavelength.

5. How does the Fermi wavelength of different particles compare?

The Fermi wavelength of different particles depends on their mass and momentum. Generally, particles with higher momentum have shorter Fermi wavelengths, while particles with lower momentum have longer Fermi wavelengths. This means that lighter particles, such as electrons, have shorter Fermi wavelengths compared to heavier particles, such as protons.