Calculating Final Energy of Stuck-Together Masses

In summary, the 2 kg mass with KE=80 J strikes and sticks to an initially stationary 8 kg mass. The final energy of the stuck-together masses is 14.2568 Joules.
hodgepodge

Homework Statement

A 2kg mass with KE=80 J strikes and sticks to an initially stationary 8kg mass. Calculate the final energy of the stuck-together masses.

Homework Equations

KE=1/2 x m x v squared

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea, any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the velocity of the 2 kg mass. then apply the law of conservation of momentum. Find the velocity of combined mass and hence the energy.

found the velocity, but wat is the law of conservation of momentum? p=mv? if so, i then used K=(p squared)/(2m or m+m) and got 32 J

is that right?

Last edited:
p=mv where p is the linear momentum

the conservation of linear momentum says
7745116605c54295c6c3b696cea2d39f.png

where
u signifies vector velocity before the collision
v signifies vector velocity after the collision.

For an inelastic collision
4df879733089c570fbd48698e428fb34.png

Last edited by a moderator:
so since i have no epsillon it is inelastic? so i use the formula for inelastic collisions or p=mv?

Last edited:
whats your reasoning behind doing that?

Think about it like this, the first mass has kinetic energy initially.
a38c32f3f00f593c1dc17692bc224c0f.png

now it strikes the second mass and they "stick together"... so in this process of sticking energy is lost to heat, bonding etc... but the momentum is conserved since there isn't a net external force on the system.
After they're are stuck they(m1+m2) start moving at a new velocity.
The question asks for the ENERGY in the final mass (m1+m2) after the collision

IF they stick together what kind of a collision is it? elastic or inelastic?

inelastic, so i used that formula, and got final velocity of the entire mass to be 1.6886, then i put it into K=1/2 x m(total mass) x v(velocity of total mass) squared and fot 14.2568, am i even close?

you're close... can you write down exactly what you're doing so I know where you're going wrong

K = 1/2 x m x v squared
80=.5 x 2 x v squared
v = 8.9443 m/s

m1 x v1i + m2 x v2i = (m1+m2)vf
2 x 8.443 + 8 x 0 = 2 + 8 x vf
16.886 = 10 x vf
vf = 1.6886 m/s

K = 1/2 x m x v squared
K = .5 x 10 x (1.6886) squared
K = 14.2568 J

v = 8.9443 m/s right... so
2 x 8.443? + 8 x 0 = 2 + 8 x vf

But everything else seems good.

got 16.0001 J

Thank you so much!

No problem... anytime

Related to Calculating Final Energy of Stuck-Together Masses

1. How do you calculate the final energy of stuck-together masses?

The final energy of stuck-together masses can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2mv^2, where E is the final energy, m is the mass of the objects, and v is the velocity.

2. What factors affect the final energy of stuck-together masses?

The final energy of stuck-together masses is affected by the mass and velocity of the objects. The higher the mass and velocity, the greater the final energy will be.

3. Can the final energy of stuck-together masses be negative?

No, the final energy of stuck-together masses cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the amount of energy needed to overcome the force keeping the objects stuck together.

4. How is the final energy of stuck-together masses related to potential and kinetic energy?

The final energy of stuck-together masses is a combination of potential and kinetic energy. As the objects move towards each other, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. The final energy is the sum of these two energies at the point of impact.

5. Can the final energy of stuck-together masses be calculated in different units?

Yes, the final energy of stuck-together masses can be calculated in different units. Some common units for energy include joules, calories, and electron volts. It is important to use consistent units when calculating final energy.